1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your NFL team's Worst. Draft. Ever.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ralph russo, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The incredible thing is the Jets should have won the Super Bowl that year.

If I recall correctly, Boose lacked the motor of an NFL player. Kevin Williams almost died in his first or second year from a rare illness, want to say a staph infection or meningitis, and then after that his agent pissed off Parcells (believe he shared an agent with that idiot Keyshawn). Before that, he was OK. Casey Dailey got hurt early on. Ogbogu made about a billion dollars with Under Armour. And I remember Hart pissing off Parcells. Can't remember what it was about, but I remember Parcells letting it slip that the Jets had advanced him some $$$ to help him out. Smart move, 7th round TE from a I-AA school, pissing off Parcells.

But yeah, horrendous draft.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

As an Eagles fan, most of the names make me cringe. The only serviceable guys from '92 were Jeff Sydner, who wasn't a bad KO return until the Vet turf ended his career, and Mark McMillan, who was 5-5 tall.

As for the guys in the '93 draft, they sucked.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Lattes and bigfoot draw them in.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

1 20 Darryl Sims DE 07/23/1961 Wisconsin
    2 47 Mark Behning OT 09/26/1961 Nebraska
    3 74 Liffort Hobley DB 05/12/1962 Louisiana State
    4 101 Dan Turk C 06/25/1962 Wisconsin
    5 136 Cam Jacobs LB 03/10/1962 Kentucky
    6 160 Gregg Carr LB 03/31/1962 Auburn
    7 187 Alan Andrews TE 02/15/1962 Rutgers
    8 214 Harry Newsome P 01/25/1963 Wake Forest
    9 241 Fred Small LB 07/15/1963 Washington
    9 242 Andre Harris DB 06/30/1962 Minnesota
    10 268 Oliver White TE 05/28/1963 Kentucky
    11 300 Terry Matichak DB 04/06/1962 Missouri
    12 327 Jeff Sanchez DB 05/11/1962 Georgia

I forgot about the 1985 Draft for the Steelers. I might have been blocking it out. Sims missed a big chunk of training camp with infected fingernails. Seriously, the guy bit his nails and they got infected. That just delayed finding out what a useless player he was.

This was the second year of the Joe Greene Award, which is given to the team's top rookie. They had to give it to Harry Newsome, the punter, because he was the only rookie who gained any significant playing time. The others never really got much better.

Turk hung around forever as a long snapper, but that was about it.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I shared a row of urinals with Dan Turk at Lynn Dickey's in KC about 20 years ago, when he played for the Raiders. He passed away several years back.

6. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Smiley was decent at guard before bolting as a free agent to Miami. Spencer is arguably the best DB they have (which admittedly isn't saying much), Sopoaga starts at DE and Lee is a Pro Bowl punter. Not saying it was a great draft, but far from one of their worst.

In 1997, the Niners traded away most of their picks. They wound up drafting just three players - Druckenmiller (1st round), Marc Edwards (2nd) and Greg Clark (3rd). Edwards had a decent career, Clark didn't amount to much and Druckenmiller was a disaster. I wrote a report for some startup site ripping that draft and got absolutely blasted by 49ers fans.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Howzabout Cam Cameron's stinkburger in 2007?

Round Pick (Overall) Player Position School
    1 9 (9) Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State
    2 8 (40) John Beck QB Brigham Young
    2 28 (60) Samson Satele C Hawaii
    3 7 (71) Lorenzo Booker RB Florida State
    4 9 (108) Paul Soliai DT Utah
    6 7 (181) Reagan Mauia RB University of Hawaii
    6 25 (199) Drew Mormino OL Central Michigan University
    7 9 (219) Kelvin Smith ILB Syracuse
    7 15 (225) Brandon Fields P Michigan State University
    7 28 (238) Abraham Wright DE Colorado

OK, Brandon Fields gets a pass. The punter in the seventh round. He can flat-out punt that football.

Ted Frickin' Ginn? Worst sales pitch in NFL history was Cam Cameron trying to soothe the faithful by saying, "Dolphins fans are going to be really excited next season when they see Ted Ginn back there to return a punt." Boy, that'll turn the franchise around. I believe Ginn's foot was in a boot at that point, too.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Didn't Ginn get hurt celebrating his TD return on the opening kickoff of the national title game against Florida that year?

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Correct.

To make matters worse for this Notre Dame fan, he had killed the Irish in the Fiesta Bowl the year before, and I was dying for the Dolphins to pick Brady Quinn. So they take Ginn instead, and Cam Cameron offers up that weak-ass comment. Of course, it could've been worse. The Dolphins could've actually picked Brady Quinn.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Did I say it was their worst? I said it was a very bad draft, which it was, that came one year after their worst.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is pretty much the one I was thinking of when I clicked on this thread. Couldn't think of the year though.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Swayda dad was my driver's ed teacher, and I am pretty damn sure I drank a few beers with Shawn over the years.

Draft saved Draft deleted