1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your music collection ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

CDs: Close to 900; not counting all the crap I've downloaded with bootleg concerts, etc.

MP3s: About a 100 MB (an estimate).

Worst CD: Cornershop. Had the one hit song Brim Full of Ahsa" But the rest blew chunks. Or UP by REM.

Best CD: Too many too mention, Depends on the day.

Best dicovery: Whiskeytown.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Number of CDs/MP3s/Records in your collection: Probably around 300 at its height; sold off about 2/3 on Amazon.com; now since I order them music for my library I can pretty much get whatever I want and burn it onto my computer

Best music purchase: My first CD player, which opened my musical eyes

Worst music purchase: Loved every single CD I bought at the moment I bought it -- although the WWF cassette from 20 years ago with the song "I Am a Real American" by Rick Derringer could certainly be labeled as a questionable purchase

First music purchase: Not sure the very first one, but I really, really, really wanted Weird Al's "Bad" cassette when it was released, so I got that; first CD that I remember was the EMF CD w/the song "Unbelievable", it's the only CD I remember from my first Columbia House 12-for-a-penny order.

Best musical discovery: "Freak of the Week" by the Marvelous 3 -- led me to Butch Walker, which led to my best concert ever, which led to many other similar musical discoveries

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I love Dead letter Office. Either my first or second REM purchase (Document" the other, but both on cassette.

And get World Without End by the Lemon Drops, terrific album. Heard them on 120 Minutes.
    Plus, Inside Out was played at the end of the last episode of the Gilmore Girls! I'm a looser I know. But I have great musical taste, IMHO

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I probably have about 300. Half of them are full length and half are CD singles I bought in Europe.

I bought most of them back when I DJ'd. I went so far as to get the bpm of each track (so I could mix) back before they made the equipment to mix CDs with.

5. Number of CDs/MP3s/Records in your collection: Somewhere north of 300 pieces of vinyl, roughly the same number of CD's.

Best music purchase: Harry Smith's "Anthology of American Folk Music." Gotta love a song that memorializes Charles Guiteau, America's most banal presidential assassin.

Worst music purchase: All four Iron Butterfly albums.

First music purchase: "I Want To Hold Your Hand" b/w "I Saw Her Standing There" (45 rpm single record.)

Best musical discovery: Music From Big Pink -- The Band. Nothing else has ever sounded as utterly original as this did back in 1968.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just set up a 24-hour playlist on my new machine at work, used about 25 percent of my library. I imported most of my mp3 library here.
    CDs? Lord. The Queen's answer would be "too fucking many."

Best? Maybe Hall and Oates' Abandoned Luncheonette. Great stuff.
    Worst? Too numerous to list. I've pulled some shit out and said, "What the hell was I thinking or drinking that day?"

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

841 mp3s on player. CD collection took a hit five years ago when thieves stole every CD from my car.

Best music purchase: Pink Floyd's "The Wall". A masterpiece.

Worse music purchase: "The Spaghetti Incident". Figured it couldn't be that bad. It was so bad every used record store wouldn't take it. I won't even list it at half.com

First music purchase: Bon Jovi - "New Jersey"

Best musical discovery - Classical music, Ludwig van Beethoven in particular.

First concert - The Jackson "Victory" tour.

Best concert - Kiss, and it's not even close. Even my wife, not a Kiss fan, admitted she had a great time at a Kiss concert earlier this decade.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Before my computer suffered its first crash, I had almost 10,000 mp3s from around 280-330 different bands -- some complete libraries, other obscure recordings from classic rock to punk. Those were the days.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Too many CDs.

Best purchase: When transitioning from vinyl to CDs, deciding to get every Clash album on CD instead of settling for a greatest hits compilation.

Worst purchase: I suppose there were many, but the one that stands out is a vinyl purchase from 1982, when I was in 9th grade. I had saved enough spare lunch money and was going to buy "Machine Gun Etiquette" by The Damned. Then I read an article in Rolling Stone that hailed U2 as being gods and called them "the Irish Clash." So at the last minute, I changed my mind and bought "War." Took it home, put in on the turntable and I think I may have actually teared up a bit, I was so disappointed. Fuckers. It took me two months to save enough to go back and get The Damned's album. To this day, in my book, "Machine Gun Ettiquette" kicks the ass of any U2 album. Couldn't care less that the rock critics don't concur. And Stiff Little Fingers is "the Irish Clash," though I didn't know that at the time.

First purchase: Beatles "red" and "blue" compilations...on 8-track :D

Best discovery: The Lemonheads back in 19-freaking-86 when they were kind of like an angrier version of The Buzzcocks and just had one release out on Boston's legendary TAANG! punk label. Speaking of labels, discovering the genius that is the Rhino label was another amazing discovery (and they've only gotten better over the years.)

First concert: Black Flag, The Olympia, Dallas, 1984 or 85...the "My War" tour.

Best concert: Ramones, Somerville, Mass., 1986.

President Garfield got shot down, shot down...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've probably got a thousand CDs, including bootlegs I've downloaded. Probably have 500 vinyl albums and another hundred or so on cassette.

First music purchase: "Will It Go Round In Circles" on 45 (on the A&M label - still remember that) in 1972.

First album I ever bought with my own money: Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf shortly after it came out.

Best purchase: Hmm, tough to say. The Clash's debut, Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town, The Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks and Hot Rocks by the Stones would have to be up there.

Worst purchse: I bought the Ghostbusters II soundtrack to get Howard Huntsberry's version of Jackie Wilson's "Higher And Higher" (he did a killer Jackie in La Bamba). The cover version sucks and I don't think I've listened to anything else on it.

Best discovery: Probably the Old 97's. Love those fucking guys.

First concert: Rod Stewart, Maple Leaf Gardens, Blondes Have More Fun tour, May 1978.

Best concert: Springsteen, Joe Louis Arena, Tunnel Of Love tour

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Number of CDs/MP3s/Records in your collection: I've got about 1,500 songs on my iPod. I've sold or given to Goodwill almost all of my CD collection, which was probably about 250 strong at one point.

Best music purchase: I could probably come up with a Pearl Jam-related answer, but the truth is I just took a shot in the dark one day when I was about 19 and bought a John Coltrane CD. It was Blue Train, which I've listened to a few hundred times since, along with a bunch of other stuff by Coltrane, Miles Davis and other jazz musicians.

Worst music purchase:

First music purchase: I don't remember the first album I bought, but it was on vinyl, probably a KISS album, and I'm pretty sure I bought it at the old Wuxtry used-record shop on Baxter Street.

Best musical discovery: Where I grew up, Athens, Ga., there were great bands to discover playing all over town. Virtually none of them ever made it, but there were fun to hear while they lasted. Love Tractor and Six String Drag, which a friend of mine was in, were really, really good.

First concert: KISS, early 1985, at the Omni in Atlanta. Krokus was the opening act. I was 12. With all the weed being smoked around me, I got second-hand stoned.

Best concert: Pearl Jam, 6/3/06, E. Rutherford, N.J. My Morning Jacket opened. I saw Victor Wooten at Proud Larry's in Oxford, Miss., once and that was by far the best club show I've ever seen.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man ain't that the truth. That's one of those CDs I bought, listened to once and buried forever.

I still have it though. But now that I have the iPod, I can burn "What's Up?" and then sell the CD for four cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted