1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your music collection ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I figured with all the great music threads popping up, this would make for some interesting discussion/stories.

I'll go first ...

Number of CDs/MP3s/Records in your collection: 853 CD's (yeah, I counted them all)

Best music purchase: Queen, Greatest Hits - Freddie Mercury and Co. made me appreciate music I otherwise wouldn't have given the light of day.

Worst music purchase: Ricky Martin, self-titled - What can I say, I liked "Livin' La Vida Loca" ... for like a day. :p

First music purchase: Stone Temple Pilots, Core - I picked up a tape at K-Mart -- the last one in stock, I think -- just to hear "Plush" over and over.

Best musical discovery: The Jam, Compact Snap - I found this at the used CD store five months ago, mistakenly stuffed between Michael Jackson albums, for $5.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Number of CDs/MP3s/Records in your collection: Between 450 and 500 CDs. I don't have much of a life, but I'm not counting them -- tonight.

Best music purchase: Green Day's "Dookie," and it's not even close. That album impacted me more than any other.

Worst music purchase: Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise." Because.

First music purchase: Green Day - "Nimrod." My mom bought it for me the same day she got me my first CD player. "Dookie" wasn't in stock at that store. I bought it the next day, however.

Best musical discovery: I worked at a radio station in college and took a bunch of albums, including ones from Gob and Flashlight Brown -- a couple of Canadian punk bands. I also stumbled onto Brand New during a search from another user's files on Kazaa, and the same thing with Koufax; Brand New sounded like a punk band's name, and Koufax because I'm a baseball junkie.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Now, is that the old-school version of Greatest Hits, the one with "Flash" and the cpver photo of dudes trying to look tough?

Or the CD release with the maroon cover?

Number of CDs . . . . not too many. I have gone all-or-nothing on many artists I like, so that's a few. Plus a bunch of random greatest hits albums and a couple of things like Disney compilations, stuff like that. If we count bootlegs, I'm at about 140 or so of various bands . . .so let's say 320, total. A middling collection, to be sure. But easy enough to transport.

Best purchase: That box that has all of Zeppelin's studio recordings.

Worst music purchase (tie): The Police Live!. Disc One is a nice show from 30 years ago, depicting a young, hungry band. Disc two depicts a bloated show from their 1983 tour, with unnecessary backup singers and such.
    Stomp 442, Anthrax: just a horrible, boring record. Nothing distingushes it other than the fact I have never listened to it all the way through, more than a decade after I bought it.

First music purchase: An audio cassette of Appetite for Destruction.

Best musical discovery: Well . . .I was on the Alice in Chains bandwagon pretty early. Helmet too. There are a couple of local bands I support, but that's about it.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Maroon cover, unfortunately.

The original Greatest Hits -- the superior version by far -- wasn't available when I bought the album in '98.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Number of CDS: Probably about 500

Best Purchase: Nirvana's greatest hits album. Everything a girl needs for her Nirvana listening pleasure on one CD that lived in my car for years. Either that or the time I traded Michael Jackson's Thriller (I had two copies) for Def Lep's Pyromania in the fourth grade.

Worst Purchase: The Verve Pipe. Yea, one really good song, and the rest was dreck.

First music purchase: Either Cyndi Lauper or The Culture Club. I was in elementary school and it was eons ago. I'm not counting the Muppets Disco Album my mom bought for me because I asked when I was 3 or so.

Best Musical discovery: Well, I had Nirvana's Subpop album before Nevermind came out, and I lived in Ohio at the time, so that was pretty early.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fortunately, I bought the single.

7. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Number of cds: Close to 300

Best purchase: Atreyu, Suicide notes and butterfly kisses. If you knew me, you'd see a pretty calm, quiet, laid back guy. For whatever reason, I love me some headbanging, screaming music.

worst purchase: Juvenile, Tha G Code. Awful. Just awful.

First musical purchase: Alanis Morrisette, Jagged little Pill. i was in fourth or fifth grade. Loved the fact that she said the F word.

Best musical discovery: Scary kids scaring kids. Saw them on one of the smaller stages at warped tour. Fell in love. Bought The city sleeps in flames. Fell deeper in love.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Number of cds: Somewhere between 550 and 600.

Best purchase: Damn, this one is a tough one, but I think I'd have to say the four-disc, 100-song box set of Nat King Cole.

Worst purchase: Probably the 4 non blondes disc. "What's up?" was a great song, the rest of the album was unlistenable.

First purchase: Other than 45 rpm singles (the first of which I couldn't possibly remember) I'd say the first album was Photographs and Memories: Jim Croce's Greatest Hits.

Best musical discovery: Probably a tie between Lowen & Navarro and Darryl Purpose. Bought a Lowen & Navarro cd off a friend's suggestion. Grabbed the Darryl Purpose cd when one of our critics was unloading a bunch of cds. I now own all of both of their stuff.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Number of cds: Mostly deal with MP3's, about 700 songs on mine.

Best purchase: Zeppelin's Complete Studio Recordings box set. It was a family Christmas present more than a decade back. My parents were tremendous fans; I was more than a little skeptical. By New Years of that year I was absolutely hooked and they've been my favorite band since.

Worst purchase: 50 Cent, The Massacre. Don't remind me. It was so bad that I stopped listening to current hip-hop altogether and now only listen to the classics, namely "Reasonable Doubt" and "Ready to Die."

First purchase: Blink 182, Dude Ranch when I was about 9. Like many, many young adults around my age, they were the first band I really fell in love with.

Best musical discovery: Pink Floyd (especially the early work with Syd Barrett) consistantly gets my creative juices flowing. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is psychedelic rock at its finest and I usually pop the disc in and relax for a while when I'm having trouble focusing on a column's direction.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Number of LPs: 250-300. Eh, maybe they'll be worth something as collectors items someday:
    Number of CD's: 300-400

Best Purchases:

Beatles, "1967-1970": one of my first buys; an excellent start on one's musical education

REM, "Dead Letter Office": not any songs that would warrant a buy (essentially an album of b-sides and outtakes), but some outstanding, eclectic music on that one.

Worst Purchase:

Lord Tracy, "Deaf Gods of Babylon". Apparently BYH and I were the only two people to buy this CD. Googled them to get the album name and I am literally shocked to see they are still together--just played Little Rock Saturday night

Mighty Lemondrops, "Laughter". Sorry, none to be found on that disc.

First purchase: Was actually a gift rather than a purchase, but it was Bachman Turner Overdrive's, "Not Fragile". The topographical album cover with the box full of gears--ah, the 70s.

Best discovery: DiVinyls, "Desperate." Before Christina Amphlett touched herself, this band made a very nice album. "Boys In Town" is an outstanding song.

Musical Oddity: Last vinyl I purchased: U2, "The Joshua Tree". Released right as CD's were becoming the recording vehicle of choice, youngsters. Had both the album and the CD within a matter of months.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Number of CDs/MP3s/Records in your collection: 350-360 legitimate releases. Throw in all of my Springsteen concert CDs and other artists concert CDs, you can double that, maybe triple.

Best music purchase: Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run". This 1984 purchase made me the Springsteen fanatic I am today and helped open up a whole new world of other music.

Worst music purchase: In the mid-70s when I was only 8 or 9... a cassette of whichever Village People album contained YMCA.

First music purchase: I bought two cassettes in the mid-70s as my first music purchase. My worst music purchase was one of them. The Best of Glen Campbell was the other.

Best musical discovery pre-2007: Outside of Springsteen, that honor would likely go to Slaid Cleaves' 'Brokedown'. Just a great disc of depressing story songs.
    Best musical discovery 2007: Josh Ritter: The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter. Just a great album of fun songs, made me go back and start discovering his other stuff which is pretty damn good as well.

How I keep CDs on the shelf: Alphabetical by artist - various artists compilations coming after Z. Then for the times when I have more than one CD by an artist, chronologically by that artist. So my A-to-Z is Abba to Mark Zubia. Only letter not represented is X. V is represented by Van Morrison.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

CDs and tapes and albums and 45s - Well past 500
    MP3s - close to 5 MBs

Best - Power, Corruption and Lies (New Order); Murmur (REM); Excitable Boy (Warren Zevon)
    Honestly I cannot say one is so much better than the other when it comes to the great, great albums.

Best discovery - Every time Bill Simmons talks up a band, I will Napster the band's top 5-6 songs into a huge playlist. Bill and I have the exact same taste in music.

Best discovery II - Looking at playlists of my favorite radio stations online and creating my own MP3 playlists.

Best discovery III - Youtube has almost every song ever recorded in some format (live, studio).

Musical oddity - I took History of Rock and Roll and History of Jazz, separate courses, at my Alma Mater in a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

First purchase was probably a cheesy 45 in 1976. Leo Sayer anyone?

First concert - Howard Jones at a State Fair

Best concert - Oingo Boingo at the same same State Fair years later.

Best concert for great looking women - Depeche Mode

Draft saved Draft deleted