1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most worthless class?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Oct 10, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Pretty much every math class has proved to be worthless, either because I have never, ever used what I learned or I've forgotten what I learned, thus making all the time spent learning it worthless.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seven years of college down the drain?

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ditto. Calculus. Didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be learning. Plus, has the bonus of being taught by a foreign grad student who barely spoke English. Somehow, I got out of there alive with a D. How, I have no idea.

4. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Just about all of the education classes I took so I could have something to do with my history major when I got out of school.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I would have to say Prehistoric Archeology, Airport Management, Statistics and anything I phoned in during my final semester were my throwaways.

The archeology class was fun though. The prof spoke six languages, English being further down the list, and he cussed constantly in all of them.

My photography class also sucked because we learned all the darkroom skills that were rendered obsolete by digital cameras within three years of graduating.

6. Math and Science, bottom line. When my second senior year came around last fall, I needed two science credits in order to finish, so with nothing else available, my dumb ass chose Physics. Sure I got As in Physics I and II, but unless editors want collision impact numbers, I don't think it'll ever be used in anything I write.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

*ears perk up* Astroglyde?

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'd say Calculus. I took 2 years of it - senior year of high school and two semesters in college. I can't remember one thing about it and I am 100% positive I've never used anything I learned.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But if you hadn't taken Calculus, you'd only be 95 percent positive it was worthless.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wish I'd dropped it. Absolutely worthless -- and boring as hell. Stuck with it, and got a C. Hardest C I've ever earned in my life.

Intro to Journalism was a pretty shitty class. Had a prof that got out of the biz in 1984, and it was made crystal clear that he was still relying on his first-hand experience (from, oh, 1983) to teach us. Using the correct editing symbol on a double-spaced proof is not a relevant skill anymore, foof.

Took three years of college German, and while I wouldn't call it worthless (I loved taking it), it ain't exactly useful.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Freshman math and sophomore biology. Both at 8:15 in the morning, with a 3-hour Thursday afternoon lab in biology.

I had to pass six hours in math and eight in science to earn a liberal arts degree. Four semester grades, three Ds. Way to kill my GPA. And I have never used any of it in the past 31 years.

Of course, not many have asked after my GPA, either, and those who do are surprised to learn I had a 4.4 my freshman year; 2.4 the first semester, 2.0 the second. Had some major time-management issues that year and that, combined with the discovery of cheap National Bohemian beer, wasn't a good combination.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

At least you could translate "du werest eine krankenchwester brauchen!" without a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted