1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most worthless class?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I took the easiest math classes they allowed in college and probably struggled more than any other course I took. Science I could do, I just hated it.

Granted, I had friends who could ace a Calculus class without thinking about it, but they couldn't string a sentence together to save their lives... Most of them are making a lot more money than we are... ;D

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

My entire major.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Who isn't?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thankfully, LSU's journalism program only required you to take two math classes -- and philosophy counted as one of them. After a semester of college algebra, I was heading toward philosophy and ended up in a probabilities class. Had I paid more attention, I could've been a helluva poker player. The teacher always used poker and card combinations as examples.

I lucked out on that one. Had a professor who must have been close to retirement, because all he did was write notes on the board and base his tests off that. I finished the final in 15 minutes -- and that was because I checked my work twice. One of the questions was, I shit you not, "what is the largest planet?"

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A computer course I took my freshman year. The only thing it did was get me up at 7:30 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday for 15 weeks.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

1) Accounting for Hotels
    2) Effective Listening

In retrospect, I should have take more intellectually challenging courses my senior year of college.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Personal and Family Finance. I was shopping for easy electives my senior year when my advisor wouldn't let me take any more Political Science. It was a class mainly for home-ec majors and taught such things as balancing a checkbook and filling out the 1040 short form.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Art History.

The teacher had a database with about 400 questions for each test, and she'd been using it for about 15 years. There were 100 questions on each test, so you didn't have to collect very many old tests to have virtually every single question that could possible come up.

We figured this out, memorized the answers to every question, never went to class except test days, and I got an A. It was awesome -- everyone on campus knew about it. The first 50 questions would "require" a picture on a projector, so theoretically you couldn't be done before she was done showing you those pictures. People would be completely finished, handed in and gone by No. 25, though. Just awesome, and totally useless.

Golf

Also useless, especially since I didn't follow up learning how to play with actually playing often enough to have retained any of the lessons I learned.

I took a Personal Finance class, too. It could have been really useful — how to get insurance, what different kinds were and protected, how to invest, basics about investing ... just a lot of general life advice. The damn class was at 8 a.m. though, so I only went about once every two weeks.

I also took a Shakespeare class that was at 8 a.m. We got credit for going, so you had to go, but you could show up any time during the hour and get credit. Sure it was humbling, but I honestly showed up with five minutes to go on several occasions. Once I walked in as everyone else was leaving. Got a B.

I don't like mornings, by the way.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Statistics. Was required to take two classes of it, still have no idea why.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

High school - trigonometry.

College - It's a toss-up between script writing and precalculus.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The sun. It's like the king of planets. [/Will Ferrell as Harry Caray]

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Again, my entire major. Every sociology class I took that makes me read people like a book but has no use in my professional life except to be able to tell when someone is lying to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted