1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most expensive moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dropped $8K on an engagement ring...

Best money I've ever spent...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh crap...now I know why it was a repeat. Didn't even look who posted it. Never mind.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Let. It. Go.

Seriously. It's into derangement now. And I'm far from a friend of the NIAFL.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

IJAG, I didn't realize it was him when I made the D_B comment. I meant that as an apology....but fine, assume the worst if you feel the need.

5. My girlfriend would love you.

6. cathack

cathack New Member

Sat down and shaking wrote a $60,000 check to the government a few years back as part of f-ing federal inheritance tax.
    Granted, what I have from that inheritance is basically my retirement but god damn if I didn't slam a fifth of whiskey that night trying to forget about it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fitting "Twenty-five thousand five hundred dollars and 00/100" on the amount line of a check is damned difficult when your hand is shaking. I almost didn't fit it all on the line, because I wasn't writing small enough.

And the real estate agent wouldn't even let me keep the Waterman pen she loaned me.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dropped thousands, along with my trade-in, for a new car four years ago. Paid cash, didn't want to worry about payments and knew if I were fired tomorrow that no one could come after my machine.

Still have the car.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Lost somewhere in the neighborhood of about $2400 in about four hours playing $5-$5 no-limit at the Bellagio in April.........

However, there is a happy ending -- I took my last $250, sat down at three-card poker table after taking a little break and turned it into just North of $4500 in about 35 minutes.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I wanna party with you, Zag.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Now, to clarify, putting down big coin on a house is expected to be a lot. So, should that be considered an expensive moment? It's inherently a lot of money.

For me (non-big purchase) was the night I proposed to my wife. Dinner and drinks at the Four Seasons in Manhattan. Who knew a vodka gimlet and a glass of wine could cost $33?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Joe would. ;D [/got the round for four in Old Vegas ($13) while he got the round for four at Treasure Island ($42) at the SJ gathering]

Draft saved Draft deleted