1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your method for recording quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 2, 2007.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Learn shorthand. Then, (1) very little need for recorder and dying batteries, (2) could get almost everything down as spoken, (3) no having to listen to recorder while writing story, and (4) even someone peeking at my notes would get no benefit.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

for long, SI access type interviews at lunch, i go for a mix of tape and notes.i keep my digital recorder close to me and stop and start it based on what they are saying. I find, that during an hour lunch, i only end up recording 20 minutes or so and even that is too long.

i very rarely transcribe everything on the tape. it helps to listen to the tape a few minutes at a time, then rewind if you hear something good and transcribe it.

also, i love the suggestion about writing first and then going back to your notebook or tape for the quotes. i've done it a few times and it works really well.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I use a recorder always. Even if I'm on deadline.

I feel I can get better answers and a better interview if I'm looking my subject in the eyes and acting like I'm hanging on every word. This works best for egotistical coaches. While I have had an operator's error when using the recorder before, if I'm careful, it works almost every time and I quote exactly what they say.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

One thing I do with digital recorders: Create separate files for each question you ask (or that is asked in a presser/gang-bang). That lets you skip over large chunks of useless stuff without having to jot down times. Just mark which track what you're interested is on and transcribe what you need.

5. If I'm one on one, I prefer to take notes (though I may keep the recorder running) because I find the patches of silence while I'm jotting useful ... interviewees get a little uncomfortable with that silence and expand their thoughts (fertile ground for context and quotes). It also gives me an excuse to come up with the next best question.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Everyday wear: pad and pen.

Formal wear: use a recorder of your choosing ALWAYS for sensitive quotes they/lawyers may challenge you on later.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I only take notes if I'm on deadline or if the recorder is off or if I'm in a press conference... Even then, it's very limited...

Players want eye contact. The answers are different than if you're frantically scribbling into a pad...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that philosophy used to help my score with my high school girlfriend on a nightly basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted