1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Longest Inch Count

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Longest story I've ever produced for a newspaper article is 64 inches and I hope to the dear Lord I never have to do it again. It was about a school's financially strapped athletic department (gross).

So what have you written?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Why don't we ask your mom I did a 60-inch piece on a sandlot baseball team with a long history in the area, but I broke it up so it felt more like five 12-inchers. Not bad, not my best work, but it wasn't exactly 60 on a gamer, either.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Did one that was about 120 inches. It was a diary type piece of life on the road with a team for about five days. Went over really well.

4. It's generally the same length every day, though maybe a tad bit longer when I'm watching Katie Couric.

5. That's GOLD!

Ok, since I posted the train wreck, I feel guilty. So I'll oblige. My longest inch count story was 125, it was similar to the above in that I followed a high school basketball team for the days up to and including a sweet 16 game in the regional tournament. Luckily for me, the lads won in overtime and I was able to get some good stuff.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Last summer I wrote a 90-something inch story about a group of overweight women who run triathlons. Pretty amazing stuff including one who's lost over 200 pounds, one who didn't learn to swim until her 40s and a quadriplegic who is almost back to competing.

It got cut down to 70-ish. But still, damn long.

7. Dude that sounds like a helluva interesting story.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Longest newspaper story I've written was about 90 inches, a year-in-review in a span when we had a number of state champs in preps, a kid drafted by the hometown MLB team and another kid who was a Parade All-American in basketball.

Had a magazine story recently that was 10K words, all told.

Yes, I can be verbose. :D

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

worked with a guy who wrote a 97-incher on finanical troubles in a little league. Managing editor cut that to 45

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Took him four hours to edit it in three tries over two days... lot of repetitive repetition
    ME said there's no way a 97-inch story is going in a paper with my name on it...

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The longest story I ever wrote was a 40-incher on a wrestling coach who was sent to Iraq with the National Guard right before the season started.

Draft saved Draft deleted