1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your inviolable rules of writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3OctaveFart, Sep 4, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If we're being that particular, do you need "total"?

2. azom

azom Member

Unanswered and consecutive. They're not the same. Sometimes they are; usually, they're not.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When you get beat in a game, you lose. When you're hanging out at a gentlemen's club, the women are loose. Know the difference.

Don't use any form of the verb "be," which is the gateway to passive voice.

"That" can be omitted 99% of the time.

Don't capitalize words because you think they're important. If it's not a proper title, don't capitalize it. Don't capitalize random words. (my high school students LOVE to capitalize every subject, class and position, e.g.: the Junior class will be hosting a fundraiser. Students will circulate the Math classes. "It's a great idea," Class Sponsor Jenny Poinbait Said.

Unless it's a long attribution, a person said the quote, not said a person the quote. "Jablome said," not "said Jablome."

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Point to BDC99. I was thinking of a way to separate yards on offense from return yards.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You don't even need the "total," because BDC99's point is right.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, you definitely could drop total but I think it is useful so the reader doesn't wonder if you meant rushing or receiving. Either way is fine with me.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Along the same lines.

Said is almost always better than says.

Draft saved Draft deleted