1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your ideal place to live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 29, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I always wanted to live in NYC, but I'm probably too old for that now.
    I'd love to move back to NJ and live in one of the smaller, quieter shore towns. Ventnor or Longport would be cool. Cape May would be nice.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If we're leaving aside a job and money, I'd probably settle down in Wellington, New Zealand. I fell for the city the first day I arrived. Good quality of life, great scenery, clean, very compact and walkable for a capital city and pleasant weather year-round. Ready access to fresh seafood and a slower pace of life are pluses as well.

Others receiving votes: Denver, Seattle, Portland, Kyoto (anywhere in the Kyoto-Nara-Osaka triangle, really) and Melbourne, Australia.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If it's a big city, it's gotta be San Antonio, for my money.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My favorite cities in the world don't really fall into the places-I'd-actually-want-to-live realm (partly because many of them are in Canada, and as much as I love everything about Canada, I just can't stand cold weather and snow.)

I'm lucky enough to be in a place I actually love. The west coast of Florida is perfect for me -- ocean nearby, lots of scenic rivers and other inland wonders, copious sunshine and the daily summertime thunderstorm. The hurricanes are little more than entertainment on this side of the state, most of the time. Easy access to a wonderful airport when I want to get outta here. Good baseball (albeit in a shitty stadium), spring training, auto racing, hockey and football; truly a sports fan's paradise.

I love going other places to see mountains, snow, hills, that sort of thing, but I can say that for daily living, I can't complain at all about where I landed.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I went to college in the foothills of Appalachia and adored it. I hate people as a general rule, so the hills suit me. There's just no way to support myself while living there.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Love where I live now, but if money and family didn't play a part I would head to Monaco or Jackson Hole.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Right now I'm happy living in the central jersey suburbs.
    I'm less than 30 minutes from northeast Philly (45 minutes or so to Center City), 60-75 minutes from NYC, 35-40 minutes from the closest NJ Shore beaches, less than 90 from Atlantic City.
    So I'm pretty much central to two major cities, the beach, I have farms and open space nearby as well, plus I get all four seasons when Mother Nature cooperates.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'd like to live three doors down the block. And her husband can have my place.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Gimme. ;)

If I had to move away from my hometown, I'd want a lot of the same things NYC offers: lots of pro sports teams and big events, public transportation, an abundance of culture (museums, music, dance, etc.), and enough places and people to get lost without leaving home.

I love Boston, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Toronto, Seattle... not necessarily in that order. San Diego has near-perfect weather.

That said, I've never been to Europe and I suspect I could find some cities there which would fit.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'd rather be in my hometown than where I currently am 45 minutes away. But that's close enough.

I've never been one to aspire living in a big city or by the beach or any of that. I just want to live near my friends and family. They're easier to make fun of face-to-face.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Awesome.

I actually love where I live right now. Annapolis is a fun, charming town. But I wouldn't mind residing somewhere a little warmer. I'm thinking Charleston, SC. So gorgeous.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I notice you didn't mention Beautiful Downtown Berdoo, dammit. The parking lot at Celebrities ain't on your bucket list anymore? :D

As for me, it's coastal San Diego. Coming home from vacation to paradise was the greatest feeling ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted