1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2012.
  1. Johnny Manziel

47 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. Manti Te'o

36 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Not sure if you're looking at my post or not, but Rolando McLain was/is/not-really-sure-wtf-he's-doing-in-Oakland a LB.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But McClain's a linebacker, too.

It gets back to something Versatile raised on the other Heisman thread: MLB is a tough position to excel from, though that seems odd because of all the accolades Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher have received the last 10-15 years.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just wanted to get an idea of TFL stats this season. This doesn't give a number but rather total yardage.

7 of the top 10 are d-linemen of some sort.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/defense-tackles-for-loss-yards

Te'o is nowhere to be found on the list.

Edit: Here are TFL leaders. Datone Jones is a monster.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/defense-tackles-for-loss

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

How the fuck did Danny Lewis get on that list?

5. Songbird

Weird stuff is like that in other categories, too.

6. Songbird

This list might be better, it's from the NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1015

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Danny Lewis is a mistake. I still don't understand what you're getting at, Songbird.

Also, young-gun11, while I love your gumption, Rolando McClain was not better than Ndamukong Suh. Suh drew double teams on every play and put up these numbers: 85 tackles, 24 for loss, 12 sacks, 10 pass breakups, one forced fumble.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Jarvis Jones is phenomenal. As is Clowney. But there is no better name for any defensive player ever than Bacari Rambo.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Should be Klein, but will be Manziel.

Klein was more consistently great this season, but didn't have the signature game at the right time of year like Manziel did.

Manziel got it done at the end of the year against Alabama and that's all anyone will remember. They'll conveniently ignore the Florida and LSU games and justify it by saying that Klein should have done better against a crappy defense like Baylor. Never mind that Klein got it done against much better defenses throughout the year. That said, Manziel still had a great year and Klein had his chance and blew it.

10. Songbird

Vers, just looking at the numbers to see where Te'o stacks up.

103 tackles but "only" 52 solo -- he was in on 51 others.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1014

I guess I'm trying to quantify how to gauge how great a defensive player has to be to win the Heisman.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would guess 20 sacks and seven forced fumbles.

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Johnny Manziel also had more total yards than anyone in SEC history. Including Heisman winners Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. The kid is a work of art with a football. He's seriously the next Tyler Bray, though. Scooby Doo? Really?

Draft saved Draft deleted