1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your greatest sports/athletic achievement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 7, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

What, you couldn't put up 300?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

No. I'm a pussy, basically.

I should play for the Bears.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Edited for clarity.

4. Norman Stansfield

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Also true.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, if we throw in weight lifting, I leg pressed 1,010 pounds once. Tried to do it again, and now my knees aren't likely to ever let me forget I did it once. And they made sure it was only once.

7. Norman Stansfield

I remember reading about Dan Kendra from Florida State doing some ridiculous total on the leg press, setting the school record, and bleeding from his EYEBALLS afterward because he'd broken all the capillaries in them.

Can I assume you didn't suffer the same fate, F_H?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I had some good baseball seasons, but one of my favorite stories from my own athletic accomplishments comes from eighth grade -- not a bad year, but not an important league because everyone was getting ready to start playing high-school ball.

We're playing in a tournament game, and since the game doesn't matter and the coach doesn't want to burn out the starters, he puts me in to start a game (I'd only closed a few up to that point). I'm in the third inning when one of the kids from the other team comes to bat.

He's batting seventh or eighth in the lineup because while he's a good athlete and a good first baseman, he also only has half of his left arm.

He's batting lefty. I don't want him to get a hit -- my buddies were cruel and I was competitive as shit anyway. So I go inside on him, figuring I'll probably just walk him.

Nope -- thunk! -- right in his back with the first pitch. Yeah, I drilled a kid w/ one arm.

Story's not done yet.

Kid's on first base, and he keeps baiting me by taking bigger and bigger leads. I know he fast, and with my delivery he'll easily steal second. I throw over once, hoping he'll cut his lead. Not quite. He makes me throw over again.

No f-ing shit, I hit him -- again -- while trying to pick him off.

I could have had sex with a rhino on national TV and my buddies would have forgot about it quicker.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No, nothing heinous like that. Just have creaky knees now that will probably blow up on me someday when I'm doing something dumb. Plus I'm tall, so it's bound to happen. Luckily in this business we all have good benefits.............. uh, we do, right?

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Nothing magnificent to speak of. I guess my biggest accomplishment was getting a college scholarship to play soccer. And after two years of bickering with my high school coach - which led to my not playing very much - I started all but about five games in college.

Scored a diving-header goal against a top-10 team once too! Of course that game was later credited as a 1-0 forfeit win for us after losing the game 3-1. Do I still get credit for that goal?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It took some searching, but I found it: Joey Lauren Adams with our boy Blue.

(about seven minutes into the segment.)

I love YouTube.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I homered off both Pete Rozelle and Jack Kemp in a friendly softball game, which got me a lot of attention at the Commish's cookout afterwards.

Draft saved Draft deleted