1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your five favorite sports books

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 5, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Dick Schaap as told to Dick Schaap

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I like threads like these. I am going 15 deep, because I can't decide. And I am sure I am missing some that would knock one or two off this list. :(

1) It Never Rains In Tiger Stadium, John Ed Bradley (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way this man writes.)
    2) Heaven Is A Playground, Rick Telander
    3) The Boys of Summer, Roger Kahn
    4) The Catcher Was a Spy, Nicholas Davidoff
    5) Seabiscuit, Laura Hillenbrand
    6) The Perfect Mile, Neil Bascomb
    7) Koufax, Jane Leavy
    8 ) Friday Night Lights, Buzz "Don't talk to me about blogs" Bissinger
    9) Any number of Halberstam books. Since I am limiting it to one of his, I will go with October 1964
    10) The Bronx Zoo, Sparky Lyle
    11) Luckiest Man, Jonathan Eig (Opening Day by Eig is a pretty good book too)
    12) Jackie Robinson, Arnold Rampersad
    13) Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning, Jonathan Mahler
    14) The Annotated Baseball Stories of Ring Lardner, 1914-1919 (Even a crappy writer like me learned a lot about writing from reading this)
    15) Run To Daylight, W.C. Heinz

3. micke77

micke77 Member

Agateguy....hey, a vote here for Grizzard...damn, I miss that guy. and you're right. he was big on sports. what was his great line concerning the best thing coming out of Chicago? I-35 South?
    anyway, Koufax is another great book. see, this kind of stuff is tough to do, but a whole lotta fun. invariably, there's another one that crops up that you wish you had put in there. and Koufax definitely belongs, too.
    and anything by Halberstam...i am reading his "Everything They Had" right now.
    when we had our FWAA meeting at the BCS in New Orleans in 2008, they were handing out copies of "It Never Rains in Tiger Stadium." Yep, a good read. and a hellluva writer. interviewed bradley on some lsu football stories a couple years back. extremely helpful guy.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My Losing Season by Pat Conroy

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Never Rains would be on my list if heading called for "Top Ten" .

Has a haunting feel to it. Can't put my finger on it but it reminds me a bit of The Last Picture Show.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

A Season on the Brink, Feinstein

Ball Four, Bouton

The Breaks of the Game, Halberstam

Instant Replay, Kramer

Tony C, Cataneo

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Friday Night Lights
    Clemente : The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero
    Namath
    Season On The Brink
    Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A little too whiney for me. His father beat him, his coach didn't like him - enough already Pat. You are bummin me out.

If you did like the book Wright Thompson has a good Outside the Lines piece on Conroy on ESPN.com

9. micke77

micke77 Member

among the classics, Instant Replay ranks right up there.
    nobody has mentioned Pond Scum and Vultures by Gene W. ;D

10. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Robert Creamer's biography of Babe Ruth is one of the best sports biographies.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Speaking of the Bambino, a must-read is "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs" by Bill Jenkinson. It makes the case once and for all that Babe was simply the greatest hitter, if not the greatest player, who ever lived.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love that book.

Draft saved Draft deleted