1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your First Week Bizarre High School Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 3, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

A kid in our area completed 40 of 65 passes for 478 yards and four touchdowns and lost. His top receiver had 11 catches for 200 yards and a pair of scores. Two teams combined for nearly 1,000 yards on offense, and the winning team, which was supposed to feature a running game, threw for more than 300 yards.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Your guys beat Independence? Good for them!

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Week 2 action:

- Major School B - picked to win by all six of our expert prognosticators and by all four in the nearby weekly that we print - loses at Major School A. MSB's quarterback sets a state record (71 passing attempts), ties for second in single-game completions and throws for 400+ yards and five TDs in loss.

- Major School D is up 12-0 at home and watches as Out-Of-Town High turns the ball over on each of its first six possessions (three picks, three fumbles). Out-Of-Town rallies for 20-18 win to hand MSD its second home loss of three points or less in two weeks.

- Minor School B loses on the road to a team it had beat every season - and twice last year - since 1997.

- Minor School A loses on the road. It was their 12th consecutive loss (went 0-10 last year) and 21st in the last 22 games.

Considering we follow eight programs, those were some pretty good storylines for us.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Normal game through first three quarters. Eagles lead Potters 14-7 at end of third.

10:00 left in fourth:

Potters punt to Eagles, whose kid fumbles the punt; Potter picks it up and runs it in for TD. Officials call it a muffed punt; can't be advanced. Potters call timeout, argue and refs overturn call.

14-13.

Extra point try goes seemingly left, but officials delay about 10 seconds making the call. One (under the post the ball was near) almost signals no good, but other signals good. Roughing the kicker penalty negated because he made the kick.

14-14.

Eagles go on 7-minute, 81-yard drive, score go-ahead TD with 2:36 remaining. EP good.

21-14

Potters drive length of field score with 1:11 remaining. EP try goes short and left.

21-20

Potters try onside kick. First attempt goes right to Eagles kid, who returns it 52 yards for a TD. Wait. Flag for offsides; play should have been blown dead as soon as offsides was called. Re-kick. This time, the ball bounced off an Eagles player and a Potters player recovers it.

Potters drive down to 4-yard-line with :06 left. They can't try a FG because kicker was hurt on previous EP try. QB rolls right and his last pass goes wide of the end zone and Eagles win, 21-20.

Oh yeah, and I had a 13-inch gamer. :D

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

First game I covered was a 63-0 game. It was a lot closer than it sounds.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Still haven't covered a game this year. We don't start until Friday.

Because I live in one of those areas that doesn't believe in high school football, game I get to cover this week is a 3 p.m. Friday start. Fun times.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

the press box i am in doesn't have air conditining, which normally wouldn't be a problem but it is 97 degrees in here right now. at least it is a good game, 14-6 at halftime.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is a playoff game I covered last year.

Team I covered dominated the entire first half and was up 32-7 at halftime. Instead of trying to put the game away, my team tries to run the clock.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

Home team, who just happens to be a well-known Catholic school here, ties the game at 38-38, sending the game to overtime. My team is stopped on a fourth-down play on their OT possession after the QB was stopped at the 1-yard line. The Catholic school takes 3 plays to go 20 yards and win the game, 44-38. Hell of a comeback.

The year before in the regular season, these two teams combined for 1,100 total yards of offense. Home team had almost 600 yards, my team had 500. My team lost, 62-28, but the game should have been much closer than that. I still can't believe the amount of offense put up in that game.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Had a 6-2 game tonight.

Six came on the opening drive.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We had a 6-5 game last week.

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

winner?

(edit: better story link)

http://www.mcall.com/sports/highschool/all-penargyl.6056929sep22,0,7583995.story

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you live in hell?

Draft saved Draft deleted