1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first time...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Oct 28, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've had to do this, as well, having moved three times in the last year (for instance.) Still don't feel comfortable voting for school board members, unless I have a damn good reason to do so. I don't plan on having anything to do with the schools in my district for a long damn time. No kids, so unless there's something about a candidate or changes to the neighborhood that compels me to vote in those elections, I'll continue to abstain from certain races.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm ashamed to say I just went and found this, but I think we're both right.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2063354/

More consonants, but the vowels dominate it, visually. My outbursts, when typed, are always home keys, so it's adkjfadkjfkljdfakjdflkjsdflksjd, which is much more consonant-based. So that's where I got it from.

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now for this post.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You should not be able to sleep knowing you went to that trouble.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had a good day. I was productive. I needed to do something pointless to bring the world back in focus.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The yin and yang. I gotcha

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Can't speak specifically to where you live, buck, but the two constant issues for school board candidates are:

1) Cut property taxes vs. maintain/increase funding for schools

2) Creationism vs. evolution

Those are both topics that this breeder, at least, doesn't think you need to have kids to have an opinion on. :D

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I'm in the leftiest of the lefty states, tart. The evolution fight was long ago won by our side. ;)

(Actually, our school board candidates have a disturbing habit this season of weighing in on the gay-marriage proposition (Prop. 8.) that's on the ballot. And I am *definitely* keeping their views in mind when I go vote Tuesday. I can assure you of that.)

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I voted for the first time in 2004, and it didn't do a bit of good.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I voted for the first time in 2004, on what is definitely in the Top 5 of the worst days of my life.

It started when I had to get up at 5:15 a.m. (otherwise known as, "This time should not exist for college students") for 6 a.m. ergs because I was on the rowing team. I had an exam, which I did badly on, then I drove the 40 minutes home to vote, then back to Manhattan for afternoon practice, where I learned the true meaning of "team punishment." Team punishment came in the form of having to do pushups for 45 straight minutes with no breaks and two days later, I was in a sling from having strained every muscle in my left shoulder to the point that it was not strong enough to hold up my arm anymore.

Here's hoping next Tuesday is much better.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Happened back in 2004 in a voting booth.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Wow.. You all are kids! 1984. It was my 21st birthday. Mondale got hammered, and so did I.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

McGovern 1972 ... because the voting age wasn't lowered from 21 to 18 until 1971, I was unable to vote against Nixon in '68 and actually didn't vote in a presidential election until I was 23.

Draft saved Draft deleted