1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

My Dad's a Packer fan so I know he would have had the game on, but I have no memory of it.

I suppose I repressed it.

Skol, Vikings!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I kind of came of age with football and the Super Bowl the year the Rams made it and lost to the Steelers, 1979. I was 7.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I mean, I was pissed enough watching Rex Grossman shit down his leg. I can't imagine adding teenage hormones to the equation. I might have been sent to juvie.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The first one I remember all the way through was XXX. I watched the first half and some of the 3rd quarter with everyone in our living room until the Steelers went down 20-7. At that point, my brothers and I went downstairs to play pool and listen to the game on the radio. Once the Steelers scored to make it 20-17, we went back upstairs to watch. Should have stayed in the basement.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watched No. 1 at the neighbors because they had a color TV and we did not. I don't think we had a color TV until No. 3, which I only watched part of because I was watching the Minnesota North Stars play someone on another channel on my little portable TV up in my room, since they were my favorite team in the pre-Sabres era.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Super Bowl VIII was the first one I remember. Don't really remember the game at all, just that my parents went to a store and bought the longest sandwich I'd ever seen - one of those sandwiches that is taped to a five-foot long board. I knew then the Super Bowl was special.
    Bet my Dad the Vikes would beat the Steelers in IX because I hated the Steelers after they beat my beloved Raiders. I learned then, never bet with your heart.
    Some great memories on Super Bowl Sunday. A local station had a tradition of showing Guys and Dolls after the game and watching and hearing family and friends sing along to "Luck Be a Lady" made me think musicals were cool at a young age.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was invited to a Bears fan SB party for 41. I hardly knew anyone, which came in handy once Grossman threw the pick-6. As soon as that happened, I muttered, "Fuck this" under my breath, walked through the house, left a half-empty beer on the kitchen counter, waved goodbye without saying a word to the crowd gathered in the living room, got in my car, drove home in utter silence, walked into my apartment, fed the dogs, turned ALL the lights out, turned off my phone and willed myself to sleep in about 10 minutes. I don't think my co-workers said a word about the game for a week. At least not when I was around.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Super Bowl I. Watched at home as teenager in basement/kids rec room/site of color TV. Watched on both networks, NBC for first half, CBS for second. Seemed only fair. Oh, hell, I can remember exactly where I watched every freaking Super Bowl that's ever happened. I can remember what I drank and ate (well, most of it). I know the damn NFL highlight films by heart. It's sick.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When the NFL Network ran all the SBs last week, I was shocked to realize I still remember the scores to the first 30 or so big games. Of course, I can't remember last year's score.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I can't remember the first one I watched on TV, but I was fortunate enough to cover Super Bowl XLV in Dallas two years ago. As a Wisconsin native, I could not have asked for anything better than to watch my childhood team win the darn thing and to be in the Packers' locker room after the game. It was amazing and an entire week I will never forget.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Man, got some young folks here. My first was Super Bowl XI. Willie Brown intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown as the Raiders beat the Vikings.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Have vague, hazy recollections of Jim Obrien's FG in V and Garo's pass in VII.

First one I can remember with great clarity (I'm sure I watched all those Steeler and Viking ones of the 70s, just nothing resonates in the memory) is XII when the Dallas defense simply swallowed up Red Miller and Craig Morton's Broncos.

Probably the only one I've missed since then is the Steelers and Rams in 1980. Had to work bussing tables in an Italian restaurant while that one was going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted