1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first star interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 6, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did he mention The Stone Balloon?

as for me, I talked to JJ Stokes once on YouTube.

2. Faithless

Faithless Member

I agree. He is a cool interview.

Interviewed him when he toured a pet food mill in Mississippi; he endorsed the company's dog food. This was not long after his first Super Bowl loss. At the invite of the company CEO, Elway flew in for a brief visit en route to a hunting trip in Alabama. Some guy named Shanahan was along for the ride.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

John Force. My first job was at a podunk Florida daily, where one of our (very few) local people of interest was a big funny car rival of his. So I went to the NHRA stop in Gainesville and wrote a feature, and visited Force's pit to try to get a one-sentence comment. Instead Force invited me into his hauler and chatted with my young clueless self for what felt like forever, for a story that wasn't even about him and a paper he probably had never heard of.

Years later I discovered that NHRA drivers are almost always that good with media, any media, but the way Force was with me still left a tremendous impression.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In terms of sports, I did a phoner with Michael Weiss for my community college newspaper in 1995 before he became really famous in figure skating circles. I wasn't a huge figure skating fan (and I'm still not), so I wasn't all that nervous.

Beyond sports, I did a sit down interview with civil rights activist and former comedian Dick Gregory for a traditionally black news magazine at my university in 2000. I *was* nervous both before and after the interview, but I was able to remain composed and be professional during the interview. That skill would help me later when I interviewed my state's governor.

5. 2001, I'm a junior in high school. I sit down with Marion Jones for 20 minutes, and she's an absolute doll. Looking back at the questions, I'm ashamed. Such bullshit.

A nice list since then -- Bud Selig, Fat Tony, David Wells, Ryan Klesko, etc.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Force is AMAZING. As a rule, NHRA people are great...but Force is better than all of them. And certifiably insane.

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

What I want to know is, did you meet Ashley?

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

My first was with Lyle Overbay at the Hall of Fame Game back in May. Having covered high school and junior college for most of my brief career to this point, I was abit unsure of how to address him when I approached.

After overcoming that, I spoke to him for a few minutes later. Then about 20 minutes later, I was talking to Frank Thomas. You would expect a gruff interview from a man nicknamed the "Big Hurt" but he couldn't have been nicer.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You might want to alert the Brewers beat guys. I don't think they'd share your sentiment.

My first real star interview: a 30-minute 1-on-1 with Brett Favre (during his MVP days). As down-to-earth as they come.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

O.J., in 1973.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bjorn Borg.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Mench did mention "The Stone Balloon" when I asked him about his most memorable times at college. What do you know about that place BYH?

Draft saved Draft deleted