1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YoungGun7, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does paperboy count? Milwaukee Sentinel carrier 1985-86.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't let these guys get you down young gun. i'm sure you'll be covering duke hoops come christmastime.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

First job: Pumping gas, Sunoco at Kingston and Woodbine, buck an hour.

First freelance: Canadian Hairdresser--no fee, all I got was a haircut.

First newsroom job: At a now fading tabloid, midnight police radio watch, midnight through 8:30 am, Saturday through Wednesday, $200 a week.

YHS, etc

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You start at the bottom and do it right — working your ass off and learning what the job is all about.

5. First job: Six-day paper with circulation of 10,000 in the Midwest. Pay was $350 a week in 1997-98. $18,200 a year, plus benefits. Delivered pizza for Hungry Howie's to supplement income. Left job after 15 months.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

23,000 circulation PM daily, preps, some college, the bowling column, Legion baseball, golf and other community stuff, all for $130 a week, the minimum wage at that time. Qualified for a low-income tax credit my first year as a full-time employee.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

First job: Shore staff for the cruise lines on Saturdays.

First journalism job aside from school media: freelanced high school sports for a local weekly.

First internship after college: PR/company newsletter stuff in Florida

First daily newspaper job: Agate for hometown daily.

8. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

"F" duke. me and this house will always support the tar heels.
    Thanks for the responses. i'm just wondering what i'm getting myself into. i don't mind starting small covering preps, but i do have goals. i just hope i'm patient enough to stick it out.

btw, start leaving your damn jobs!

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

No problem.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=124463

10. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

First job: Uncle Timmy's corner store in Brooklyn (where you also could play "numbers" if so inclined).

First journalism job: Editor-in-chief, 2nd grade newsletter, P.S. 215 (among the first group of black kids bused to Archie Bunker's neighborhood).

First non-family, non-journalism job: NYC summer youth program, cleaning parks (and learning to play hoops).

First paying journalism job: Intern at Times Herald Record in upstate in New York (where I turned down offer to be a G.A. reporter for news).

First full-time journalism job: News Assistant (i.e., agate clerk), USA Today in 1985 at $14K (the shrimp weren't jumbo, they were "Neuharthian").

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

First job out of college: Part-time agate clerk at hometown paper in upstate New York, 50,000 circ. in Summer of 2005

First full-time journalism gig: Sports writer in a two-person shop in Pennsylvania, late 2005.

Took me 21 months to wise up and grab a job in a big city.

And I raise my beer for no more little league. Ever. ...

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

Here's a worthwhile twist to this ... how long were the stays at the first job and why did you move on?

Draft saved Draft deleted