1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first "favorite song"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Mar 13, 2017.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not counting music-class staples, or the national anthem, do you remember what your first "favorite song" was?

Mine was "Convoy," by C.W. McCall. I was 7 when it came out. I begged my parents to buy me the 45 and I probably played it 10 times a day.

X-Hack, Bronco77 and SpeedTchr like this.
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Every song on the "Sound of Music" soundtrack album. I was 6.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rhinestone Cowboy by Glenn Campbell. Parents even taped me singing it when I was like 3 or 4. Still got the tape. My lack of singing talent was apparent early.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's probably not correct, but 'Devil Went Down to Georgia' because it had 'son of a bitch' in the lyrics and my father would play it for us while driving to Saturday afternoon Mass.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I hate myself for admitting this.

Bronco77 and FileNotFound like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Song Song Blue--Neil Diamond

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

HC and FileNotFound like this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Ugh. I was the youngest and was always being taken on errands with my mother. She listened to the local station that played the soft hits or whatever they were called like 'Song Song Blue.' There wasn't one I liked, but I could hum along to most of them to this day.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Same song. Our stories diverge from there.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The one that comes immediately to mind is Petula Clark, 'Downtown', but that would have been well after it's original release.

If not that, it's probably one of the sappy pop ballads of the late 60s: 'Ode to Billy Joe', Bobby Goldsboro's 'Honey' or something of that ilk.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

We also had a little record player in a suitcase covered in denim (God, what I wouldn't give to have that now) and a box of 45s. I played them constantly, but the three I remember specifically:

"The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel.
    "Cathy's Clown" by the Everly Brothers.
    "Strawberry Fields Forever" by The Beatles.

Any of those songs come on the radio now, I am a kid again. It's kind of a beautiful thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted