1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first car.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 17, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Had a three-year span in the late '80s/early '90s where I went through a little Ford Courier with only an AM radio, a giant van with an 8-track and a '77 Thunderbird with a broken AC (during a typical Chicago summer). I didn't spend much time cruisin'.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

On the older Saturns, the "easy" way to change the oil was jack up the right side, put stands under it, take off the right front tire, pop the plastic inner fender rivets, and go to work. Everything was fairly accessible at that point. The other way? Crawl under from the front going backwards, then blindly reach as far as possible for the oil filter and let hot oil splash all over you. I was told the car was designed so that people would take it into the dealership for oil changes, since the mechanics could easily raise it on the lift, and the oil filter and oil from the pan would flow into the canister easily.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me. My first couple of cars were Chevys. I didn't know how to change oil, but I could do an air filter. They were easy. The compartment was out in the open, you just unscrewed it or opened it up and swapped it out.
    My current car is a Mazda. I've had it for 10 years and I still don't know where the damn air filter is. I've tried looking for it a few times and given up when it became apparent I was going to have to take half the engine apart to get to it. The cabin air filter and headlights are the same way -- easy to change out if you've been trained, know exactly what you're doing and have the tools; not so much if you're lacking in any part of that equation.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Someone needs to go revive Chef after he reads this

Iron_chet and FileNotFound like this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Novacanes for pussies. Chef will tell you

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Chef was probably the first person he called after getting the flat.

"OK, first you gotta take off your shoes so your feet won't slip when you stomp on that sucker . . . "

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I changed tires for a living (partly) for three years. It's highly overrated.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I rode to high school in the late '80s with a guy who had a 1970 Porsche 914, widely believed to be the worst Porsche of all time. And this one was completely falling apart, from a rusting exterior to a peeling interior to a dashboard where only the gas gauge worked. Nicest thing you could say is that it ran. I don't think my parents ever knew how much of a sh*tbox it was, or else they'd have never let me in it. But the senior was one of the cool guys in school and I was a freshman, so I wasn't saying anything.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What a beast!

[​IMG]

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

1990 Subaru Legacy wagon. Not my pic, but this is it, right down to the color. Still my favorite car I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1984 Ford Ranger pick-up truck that was 50/50 as to whether it would start. Almost every day, I had to remove the breather cover, hold the valve closed with a screw driver and pour a splash of gasoline in to "prime" it.

[​IMG]

I flipped it on the way to school one day and had to ride the bus for about three months before my dad bought me a new car as a parting gift when he and my mom split up.

Good times.

12. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I, ladies and gentlemen, owned a 1972 Ford Pinto that I got for my high school graduation as my first automobile. Ugly as sin and a rolling gas can, but hook up a nice stereo system (8-track, of course) and it made a hell of a mid-70s party-mobile for rides out to the Fields of Ambrosia (the out-of-town places to smoke weed and drink beer).

I've also owned a Ford Maverick, a Mercury Topaz, an '82 Mazda B2000 pickup (with manual trans), a Ford LTD, a Thunderbird, two Explorers (the '95 was the only car I've ever bought new), an '07 Chevy Cobalt and my current ride, a 2014 Toyota Prius. Loved the Cobalt, and it was headed for 200,000-plus miles when my wife totaled it in February of 2016, but so far the Prius is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Hybrid engine is virtually maintenance-free and gets 40 mpg in town, 50 on the highway.

Draft saved Draft deleted