1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite sports columnist...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 7, 2006.

1. insideman

insideman Member

133 replies and only five mentions of Bob Ryan? This guy is the epitome of passion, knowledge and sanity in sportswriting and his fastball is as sharp now as it was 30 years ago.

2. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

I know he's retired now but Bill Lyon could craft a sentence with the best of them in his day.

3. Scoopwatch

Scoopwatch New Member

Please tell me you were joking. Sarcasm doesn't work so well in cyberspace, but I will assume you were joking.

http://www.scoopwatch.blogspot.com

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i have a blog!

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I've always liked Ann Killion. I like a columnist who gets it without trying to blow you away all the darn time. She has crisp prose, an intelligent tone and rarely makes a fool of herself. Is she a game-breaker? Maybe not, but she's pretty darn solid.

7. Registered_Muser

Registered_Muser New Member

1. Whicker
    2. Ray Ratto

And, from the mid-major category, Kalani Simpson, Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As long as Ryan's alive, he's it.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I find myself reading Gene Woj the most.

There will never be anyone better than Blackie Sherrod. For that matter, there will never be a sports editor better than Blackie Sherrod when it comes to assembling talent. And only so many sports columnists win an award for science writing.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was a better world when Blackie was allowed to spend money.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

12. scalper

scalper Member

Linicome for one-liners, definitely. Plaschke for the make you feel something column. And I'll give the before he became a star and started mailing it in award to Albom. Most underrated: Daugherty and Bianchi. Most overrated: Caulkins and Lupica.

Draft saved Draft deleted