1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Song By Decade (or Join the Zeppelin Lovefest it's morphing into)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Re: Your Favorite Song By Decade

It was the worst song ever made.

There are some wretched tunes mentioned here, so wretched that I have to wonder if they are serious.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, well, to each his own. Half the stuff listed here by what's my guess is the 20-something crowd, I've never heard of.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

no no no.
    is the worst song ever made. or the best. i can't tell. anyway, it's gotten 11.6 million hits on youtube, up from 9.6 million when i watched it ... last night.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If this counts as music, this wins:

http://www.silentwulf.com/flash/lolinternet.swf

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll agree on the Sweet Home Alabama song. I'm not going to call it a ripoff, because I'm guessing Skynyrd members got rich from it.

I think the worst ripoffs are that Lady Antebellum song that completely stole from the Alan Parsons Project.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Let 'em hate. Best one-hit wonder of all-time.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm like you. Nothing but Classic Rock on the radio, though I have my iTunes (which is 90% Classic Rock).

The only new songs I hear, like you, are at games. But I've found a few rap songs that I enjoy that way.

I could list a Top 100 for the 1970s and '80s both, and a good Top 50 for the 1960s and '90s. Before and after that, it gets a little fuzzy.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I would say that it's definitely my favorite right now, as of my mindset at this present moment. It has changed a lot but in the last six months, I gut-wrenchingly quit my job in journalism because it wasn't going anywhere, job-hunted for several months with no nibbles, got a minimum-wage job at a library and decided to go to grad school. The concept of just let me get through this in one piece rings such a chord with me right now.

People who aren't into country know Garth's songs, but he has some very underrated songs (Ireland, anybody? Against the Grain is another good one.) I also used to hate the song Unanswered Prayers, but now that I'm older, I get it.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Zep is my favorite band as well, but I am surprised White Summer is in your top 4. I know picking Zep songs are like picking children, but that is not one of their top four songs. I know it's all subjective, but still.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm going to limit it to music from the decades I've been around (I was born in 1972 ... I guess Starman was born in the 1890s :D)

These change day by day (or even hour by hour as tunes drift through my head). My current all-timers:

1970s: "Couldn't I Just Tell You" -- Todd Rundgren. Todd had some great stuff in the 1980s, too, but this is my favorite song off his best album.

1980s: "Natural Science" -- RUSH. One of their last "long songs," it's one of their best. Honorable mention would have to be something raunchy off "Appetite for Destruction," maybe "You're Crazy" or "Nightrain."

1990s: "Spin the Black Circle" -- Pearl Jam. An ode to vinyl :). And I had "Vitalogy" in my home before any of my friends, because I still had a turntable.

2000s: "Impossible Germany" -- Wilco. This one edges out "Spiders/Kidsmoke" for me. Two great tunes from two of the decade's best albums.

2010s: "Beg, Steal or Borrow" -- Ray LaMontagne & the Pariah Dogs. Great tune with a topic that hits close to home for me.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually that Kid Rock song rips off two songs--Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London. Zevon's estate should be getting as much money as any of the SKynyrd boys.

And no apologies are ever necessary for Come On Eileen. That's a damn catchy song.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spin the Black Circle is an underrated Pearl Jam song.

I still think Rearviewmirror is the best song on that album and by far the best song when they're performing live and Vedder is coming down from the previous song and Gossard breaks into the opening guitar sequence.

Draft saved Draft deleted