1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Song By Decade (or Join the Zeppelin Lovefest it's morphing into)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Re: Your Favorite Song By Decade

According to my iTunes, with runner-up in parentheses:

50s: "Beyond the Sea," Bobby Darin
    60s: "Getting Nasty," Ike Turner ("Colours," Donovan)
    70s: "Heroes," David Bowie ("The Card Cheat," The Clash)
    80s: "Temptation," New Order ("Waiting on a Friend," Rolling Stones)
    90s: "Player's Ball," Outkast ("The Boy with the Arab Strap," Belle & Sebastian)
    00s: "At Her Open Door," Dead Meadow ("A Wooden Horse," British Sea Power)

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

1950s -- Love Me Tender, Elvis Presley
    Honorable Mention: Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley and the Comets

1960s -- Something, The Beatles
    Honorable Mention: One Fine Day, the Chiffons, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Beatles, A Day in the Life, Beatles

1970s -- (tie for my two favorite songs of all time) Somebody to Love, Queen and Let It Be, The Beatles
    Honorable Mention: Dream On, Aerosmith, Imagine, John Lennon, Higher Ground, Stevie Wonder, Vienna, Billy Joel

1980s -- Come On Eileen, Dexy's Midnight Runners (haters gonna hate)
    Honorable mention: You Shook Me (All Night Long), AC/DC, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper, Like a Prayer, Madonna, Amarillo by Morning, George Strait

1990s -- Wolves, Garth Brooks
    Honorable mention: Just about everything else by Garth Brooks (he's about my favorite artist ever), Cryin', Aerosmith, The Sign, Ace of Base, AM Radio, Everclear

2000s -- I think I want to abstain from voting for this decade. I spent most of the last decade listening to older music and discovering bands from the 60s and 70s rather than whatever was "current" and "hip" and autotuned out of its gourd. Ever since I got an iPod attachment to my car, I rarely listen to the radio anymore because most of it is utter crap.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Of all the Garth Brooks fans I have known, Wenders - and there have been many - you are the first one I've seen who would pick Wolves as a favorite song. Not saying it's wrong, just interesting.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Country ...

1950s: The Battle of New Orleans -- Johnny Horton
    1960s: King of the Road -- Roger Miller
    1970s: Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone -- Charley Pride
    1980s: Stranger In My House -- Ronnie Milsap
    1990s: Heads Carolina, Tails California -- Jo Dee Messina
    2000s: What Was I Thinkin' -- Dierks Bentley

Novelty songs ...

1950s: The Witch Doctor -- David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian)
    1960s: They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! -- Napoleon XIV (Jerry Samuels)
    1970s: Fish Heads -- Barnes and Barnes (video was released in 1979)
    1980s: Eat It -- Weird Al Yankovic
    1990s: Amish Paradise -- Weird Al Yankovic
    2000s: White and Nerdy -- Weird Al Yankovic

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

For when I was alive:

'80s: "Spanish Bombs" The Clash (I consider it an '80s song even though "London Calling" was released on Dec. 14, 1979)
    '90s: "Tonight, Tonight" The Smashing Pumpkins (Honorable mention: "Once Upon A Time" Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise)
    '00s: "San Fernando Sexxx Star" Butch Walker
    '10s: "Impossible Soul" Sufjan Stevens

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Zeppelin is my favorite band ever.

Over the Hills is my favorite Zep song, but Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, White Summer Black Mountain Side would battle it out for a very close second, third and fourth.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's a very good song by an underrated band. I just remember seeing them in concert when I was in college and I know that was before 2000. :D

8. Mizzougrad96

Two Kid Rock mentions? You sure you're not Hockeybeat? :D

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I fall into the group like someone mentioned earlier of not knowing anything real current other than Kid Rock after Rock n Roll Jesus when he migrated to singing rather than rapping. I also like Zac Brown Band and Colt Ford, but as for favorite songs, I go with Rock.

I listen to strictly Classic Rock stations, so the only real exposure I have to anything recorded by a new artist in the past decade or so is what gets played at high school sporting events. Then I normally think "WTF is this shit?"

At one school I cover, I'm good friends with the PA guy. He controls the warmup music, and it's almost exclusively Southern Rock. He and I sit there and jam while the kids are looking around in confusion.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think Kid Rock is underrated. I think he's better known for who he's dated and getting into trouble than he is for his music, which is unfortunate.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. His music IS unfortunate.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Indeed. Someone who makes such awful music cannot possibly be underrated. That Sweet Home Alabama ripoff song he did was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Draft saved Draft deleted