1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite golf course

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Lower Cascades course at The Homstead

Any Arthur Hill or Tillinghast course.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Merit Club in Libertyville, Ill.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Haven't played many expensive clubs. The nicest I've played is Chateau Elan, in Braselton, Ga. It helps to have friends at the AJGA.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for Hodge Park, the shitty muni just a few miles down the road from my parents house in KC. No. 4 is a 420-yard par 5. No. 5 is a 440-yard par 4.

There isn't a bunker on the first 14 holes, then two small ones on No. 15. Then there's one bigger than my apt. on 18, like they built the damn thing and realized they only had 2 on there.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The one that's nice and flat and wide so I can break 50!!!! It's hard to tell on TV how beautiful some of these places are. I mean, Pebble Beach LOOKS gorgeous, but it can't compare with being there.

I've been to Valhalla, and that's about the only big course I've been to.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I've had the pleasure of butchering Harbour Town several times, so that stands as my favorite. I would love to see Augusta National one of these Aprils.

6. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

Played Pebble once. Paid my own money (when I was single and actually had some that I could call my own). Shot 98, lost one ball and played pretty well. Made one of the great up-and-down pars of all time on the 9th hole. Hit it right of right on 18 trying to miss the ocean on the left and made 8. Greens were so fast I can't describe them. Had a chip shot on 11 that was barely rolling when it left the fringe and rolled 25 feet past the hole, and it was my fault for hitting it there to start with. Not that I remember it or anything.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Great thread... as usual.

My top 5 I've played
    1. Riviera CC. Yes, it's better than it looks on TV. And it has the greatest short par-4 on the planet -- No. 10.
    2. Boston Golf Club. One of the great sleeper courses. I could play this course forever and never get tired of it, which is saying something, considering it handed me my ass the day I played it last summer.
    3. Fallen Oak, Biloxi. Picture Vegas' Shadow Creek in a forest with magnolias, pines, oaks and pecan trees and you've got Tom Fazio's $43 million wonderland. It's a beautiful, amazing course that tests every part of your game.
    4. The River Course, Kiawah Island. One of the two private courses on Kiawah and the site where I had my golfing gator encounter. On the first par-3 (No. 4, I believe), I pulled my shot long and left -- a deviation from my usual short-right iron push. This spared me from hitting at this "log" sitting right between the green and this lake. That "log" was a 12-foot bull gator enjoying the South Carolina late morning sun.
    5. Wailea Gold Course, Wailea, Maui. Just a fun, beautiful course to play. Hard to concentrate sometimes, when you're hitting balls and watching whales frolic in the ocean, because you can see the Pacific from every hole.

HM -- Bighorn GC/Canyons Course, Palm Desert, CA
    Inn of the Mountain Gods, Ruidoso, NM
    Sherwood CC, Thousand Oaks
    Banff Springs, Banff, Alberta

Most overrated -- Trump National Los Angeles, Palos Verdes; Valencia CC.

EDIT: The top five on my wish list would be...
    1. Cypress Point
    2. National Golf Links
    3. Shinnecock Hills
    4. St. Andrew's (Old Course)
    5. Augusta National (if only for the bragging rights)

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Memorable courses played:

Torrey Pines
    Winged Foot
    Tiburon (Greg Norman course in Naples)
    Hartford TPC
    Cape Arundel (Kennebunkport -- you haven't lived until you've peed behind a bush at H.W. Bush's summer course)
    Wee Burn CC (Darien, very stuffy, only place I've ever used a caddy, 139 slope from the tips)

Wish list:

Pebble Beach
    Pinehurst
    Shinnecock
    Olympic Club
    Century CC (Purchase, NY -- Ben Hogan was once the pro there)
    Muirfield
    Spyglass Hill
    Riviera CC

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This one's simple: http://www.candystand.com/play.do?id=17857

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I love it when this thread topic pops up every few years ...

My playlist:

1. Augusta National
    2. Pinehurst No. 2
    3. TPC at Sawgrass, Stadium Course
    4. Jupiter Hills Country Club
    5. (Well, soon, I am told) Shoal Creek

With those five, I will have the Masters, U.S. Open, PGA Championship, the "fifth major" and a U.S. Amateur course. Now, all I need to do is hop a flight 'cross the pond ...

rb

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Oh hell yes to Banff Springs and Crowbush. Have played both. Crowbush is my No. 1 that I have played more than once.
    Single visit favorites are Duke University's course and East Lake in Atlanta.
    Favorites I've walked — Augusta National and The Honors.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I think I speak for most golfers when I say, "Fuck you, good sir."

Blue font?

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted