1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite golf course

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

When you were in Ireland, did you get to play the K Club?

I have a standing tee-time if I ever get over there.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Favorite to play: Stone Mountain Golf Club, Stone Mountain GA:

Just a lot of fun. First five holes are pretty much all along the lake and hugged tightly by pine trees; the back nine mixes in the stone that makes up the terrain with the bermuda fairways and the sand bunkers.

Oh, and one tip: the putts always break to the mountain.

Fave as a spectator: Augusta National, Augusta, GA.

It's not Iowa; it's Georgia. And it is heaven.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Favorites I've played:

Shoal Creek Country Club, Birmingham
    Atlanta Country Club
    Muirfield, Dublin, Ohio
    Harbor Town Golf Links, Hilton Head, SC
    Turtle Point Yacht Club, Killen, AL

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My top 5:
    1) Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland -- a couple of the most magnificent holes you'll ever see.
    2) The Honors Course, Chattanooga -- awesome golf course in the most peaceful setting you can imagine; can't hear nearby traffic; no corporate or industrial noise; no airplanes — nothing except a couple of babbling brooks.
    3) Shinnecock Hills, Southampton, N.Y. -- not one yard of cart paths. You can stand on the first tee, look out over Long Island Sound and picture that someone standing in the same spot 100 years ago saw exactly the same thing.
    4) Prairie Dunes, Hutchinson, Kan. -- terrific collection of golf holes and, when the wind blows, it'll test all your golfing skills. There's nothing contrived on the property. Oh, and the kitchen turns out the world's BEST fried chicken; it alone is worth the trip.
    5) Spyglass, Pebble Beach, Calif. -- the first couple of holes that wind down to the dunes and shore . . . what a treat!

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Pine Creek - two courses, some water hazards, a nice layout..
    Aerial views of the courses can be seen here: http://www.pinecreekgolf.com/aerial.html

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was able to play here for free when I was in college. I was just a valet, but it was a hell of a job.

http://paradisevalleycc.com/

If you ever have some time to kill in Central Virginia and $30 bucks in your pocket, then give this course a try.

http://www.thevistalinks.com/

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

True Story;

I played golf last month at Braeburn Golf Course (Wichita States Course) in Wichita. I was by myself.

Gentlemen was just loading his clubs in a cart, and asked me if I was by myself, and wanted to know if I wanted to tee it up with him.

I said sure.

As he is going to the first tee-box, I noticed his clubs were hickory-shafts.

He plays in hickory only tournaments all over the U.S., and switched to hickory only about 10 years ago.

This gentlemen is from somewhere in Nebraska, and is on a mission to play golf in all 50 states. Only states he has not played in is Alaska, and New York.

Only reason he is saving New York for last is because (this is what he told me) that the oldest course in America is in New York State, and ironically called St. Andrews.

Fascinating man.

Oh, and he shot 75 too. Guy didn't hit it all that far, but with the hickory shafts, and a tiny club head, every shot had to be struck perfectly, and they were.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Chef, I would love to read a story online about that guy.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head, but I have his business card at the house.

When I find it, I'll pm it to you.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Front Royal Country Club

11. Don't know how true it is but West Virginia lays claim to the first golf course in America; Oakhurst Links in White Sulphur Springs.
    www.oakhurstlinks.com

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Four I've played
    1) Oakland Hills
    2) Hazeltine
    3) Interlachen
    4) Michigan
    5) Signal Point

Draft saved Draft deleted