1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Broadway Shows/Musicals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Mar 4, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have to sing it myself (although I did beg for the role of Gretl :D). And I'll take that piece anyday over having to sing the Don Juan chorus music from "Phantom".

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Esparza was robbed. The most honest depiction of Bobby, ever.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I've yet to hear/see a version of "Company" in which Bobby is convincingly straight. Primarily that's a function of the book, not the lyrics. But in the recent revival, all of the friends stand at attention when Bobby is asked if he's had a gay experience. As much as Sondheim and Furth denied that Bobby is gay, John Doyle seems not to buy it.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

He doesn't seem to have a problem with women, only with commitment.

But if you're 35, single, and singing Sondheim.......

At any rate, Esparza singing "Being Alive" was an amazing, amazing moment. My wife, who'd never seen a Sondheim show and mostly joins my kid in mocking my manliness for liking him, was literally in tears.

On TV it came off a little too overwrought, but in the theater it was A Moment, to be sure.

5. rallen13

rallen13 Member

SOUND OF MUSIC-Did lighting and sound and understudies Rolf (played it a couple of times) in a Community Theatre production, named my first two kids Liesl and Kurt.

1776-As a U.S History major, it was hokey to the max, but the history it represented was fantastic, especially with look-alike actors.

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF-For a Christian, I would have made a great Rabbi. The culture and adherence to faith and "Tradition" is incredible.

THE FANTASTICS-Played the girl's father in a production of this one and never had more fun.

STOP THE WORLD, I WANT TO GET OFF-Always loved Sammy Davis, Jr., and had to see the show his great "What Kind of Fool Am I" came from. It was superb!

6. Boom has magic to do in his little corner of the sky!

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've only seen one Broadway show: Bring In Da Noise, Bring In Da Funk. Though I also saw Take Me Out many years later. Though that's not a Broadway show.

I would have liked to have seen Angels. I saw The Laramie Project once, though. I don't know if that counts.

When it comes to musicals/shows, I reek of epic fail.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pippin's little corner of Broadway history is secure . . . as the first musical to gain legitimate box office and run primarily on the strength of a dynamite TV ad.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Love Avenue Q. My wife and I got tickets on our New York honeymoon, and we couldn't stop laughing the moment the show began. I heard it was like adult puppets, but I never thought Broadway could be like that. I couldn't wait to download the soundtrack on iTunes the moment we came home from the honeymoon -- I didn't want to buy it for $22 at the show. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see a quality Broadway show. Absolutely hilarious.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I saw Five Guys Named Moe in London in May 1992.

Written by????

The Wire's Lester Freamon.... Clarke Peters.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Favorite: Les Mis, Wicked

(Part of it had to do with where I was sitting for Wicked... didn't expect to love it... was totally surprised.)

Least favorite: RENT !!!! :( :(

12. Rent is a massive cauldron of steaming Fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted