1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite ambiguous endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 28, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Then it's not really ambiguous.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Versatile means that it lets one know that he won't die in Season 2 or 3 or 4 or throughout 5. Just knowing he's alive near the end of the show, and a free man, alerts one that he doesn't meet the fate of, say, a Big Pussy or Lane Price.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

An underrated movie. Didn't age well, but I'll still watch it when it's on.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

the one that leaps to mind is 'Cache.' I loved that movie.

I like it when a show or movie leaves the audience guessing.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Still so bitter. I probably would be, too.

Who played spoiler, anyway? I forget.

6. Dick Whitman

I'm not bitter.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not some whiner making unreasonable complaints about spoilers.

This was a poster who hated me, targeted me, and spoiled a show just to be an utter dickhead. It wasn't a spoiler that occurred naturally in the course of conversation about the show. It was stated, with no other context, for the lone purpose of spoiling it. Just because I asked people not to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. You don't seem bitter at all. :)

8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I hate that guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Vanilla Sky.
    http://www.theuncool.com/films/vanilla-sky/vanilla-sky-secrets/

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Quantum Leap, because they weren't sure if they were ending the show or not, so they had Sam meet the unknown force, in the form of a bartender from the first episode, who had him traveling through time. When Sam says he wanted to go home, the force tells him he can go home anytime he wants, but to think of all the lives he has affected, and how those people have affected other people.

So Sam leaps and tells Al's first wife that he is still alive in Vietnam, so she doesn't remarry and Al never has multiple wives. But it ends with a caption that Sam never returned home.

I'd like to think at some point, the Project Quantum Leap people figured out a way for Sam to go home regularly and yet still be able to leap around.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

John Carpenter is the kind of ambiguous endings.

The Thing: Who is still human? MacReady or Childs?

Prince of Darkness: Brian is still having the dream, but now he sees Catherine in the door of the church. Does the portal re-open in 1999?

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: Did the TV station pull the final commercial in time or did the kiddies' brains melt into bugs and snakes, wiping out thousands upon thousands of children and adults?

In the Mouth of Madness: Was Sam Neill a real man or a character in a Sutter Cane novel?

Others:
    Prisoners: Does Jake Gyllenhaal find Hugh Jackman?

The Wrestler: Did Randy the Ram die?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The ambiguity with 'Prince of Darkness,' 'Season of the Witch' and 'Mouth of Madness': Why did I watch these movies?

Great movie with ambiguous ending: 'Lost in Translation.' Love that movie and the ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted