1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your dream assignment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Here's the hypothetical: You have an opportunity to spend the next two months working on any sports-related story or project you want for a magazine. All expenses will be paid. You'll make twice as much as you would at your current job, and your boss is fine with it. If the story is good, you could potentially get another shot to do this sort of thing or a shot at a dream job or whatever it is you want out of your career. And, let's add, that your family can come with you, depending on what you decide to do. I'm sure there are people here who wouldn't want to abandon their families for two months.

The story can be anything from a profile of a person to a research-based statistical study. Keep in mind your own abilities, too. There's no sense in picking something you couldn't execute. So, what do you chose?

I'll report back with my answer tomorrow, after giving this more thought.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Cover the World Cup from being with the U.S. at training camp all the way through the final, and (seeing as how it's hypothetical) ending with the U.S. winning it all.

I'd also like to cover the Tour de France from start to finish.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Winning it all? That definitely is hypothetical. ;D

Great topic. My mind is awash with ideas.

4. moonlight

moonlight Member

A behind-the-scenes look at the body painting for the SI swimsuit issue.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

One board member is doing this right now.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Sports-related: I second following the U.S.World Cup team. Also, and this could go either sports or entertainment, would love to be backstage with total access to WWE stars for two months, with the wrestlers actually being honest about the ins and outs of pro wrestling, culminating with Wrestlemania.

Non-sports related: Touring with Pearl Jam. Or being deeply embedded in the Playboy Mansion to do an in-depth expose on Hefner. I don't think I'd take my family with me on that one, though.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I got into this crazy business dreaming of covering the Olympics. This would be the perfect time to dive in, though I'd need a little more than two months.

The World Cup would be amazing as well, though I think I would've preferred an earlier set of U.S. players.

I'll keep pondering something in depth and statistical...

Maybe an investigation of girls playing sports in first-generation immigrant communities in the United States. I've heard many interesting local anecdotes. Exploring similar issues abroad -- particularly in the Middle East and Southeast Asia -- intrigues me even more, but I think the logistical challenges would be too formidable.

8. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Actually just hit Send on a pitch for a story I could safely say fits this question. I spent a solid 10 hours on the pitch alone. If I don't get the assignment, I'll likely go weep in a dark corner for a few days. But if I do get it, I'll probably throw a party.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mick Foley had a really good idea similiar to this, but he didn't quite execute it for his third book because he decided to wrestle as well. But I liked the idea. Follow Vince McMahon and his staff for the two months as they prepare for Wrestlemania. Total access. In the planning sessions, at the Raws and Smackdowns, in the bars with the wrestlers. It'd be an interesting experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Fcuk Wrestlemania. I'd love to do it for MTV's The Challenge.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Class C high school track sectionals.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Section II?

Draft saved Draft deleted