1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Haven't had one of those in years. Got a hankering for one, and I got coupons for Bennigan's for a buy one, get one free, so away I went to the one nearest me ... which had just gone out of business :'(.

Ham, turkey, chesses on sourdough, and the whole thing gets deep-fried and served with raspberry jam and powdered sugar. It's not a last meal, but it's a lunch on your last day.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

blt on white toast with loads of mayo. bacon must be crispy. mmm-mmm. my mouth's watering. 8) 8) 8)

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Hot ham and cheese, anyone? With the poppy seeds and wrapped in tin foil.

4. Thought PB and J was the best until I had Cream Cheese and Grape Jelly, which my neighbors made.

However, I've got to go with grilled meunster cheese as a kid. Totally addicted. And there's a creaminess to meunster that you don't find in most cheeses.

Though my ultimate test sandwich when I go out is the reuben. Good ones are hard to find...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bologna, american cheese, mustard and lettuce on white....

And I was backward with the grilled cheese -- not with the sammich, but the side. I much prefered mine with Lipton's (never Campbell's) Chicken Noodle Soup (never tomato...)

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bagel and bologna sandwich, nothing on it. Cheese occasionally.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

my favorite sandwich today is the shrimp club at Cheesecake Factory: shrimp, bacon, lettuce, some kind of sauce better than mayo. Hold the tomato.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was always an egg salad sandwich kid which I took to school for lunch mostly every day in hs.

Funny you bring up the Reuben. Here's a classic sandwich that's pretty easy to make but it's amazing how many restaurants and pubs fuck it up. So, say if I'm trying out a new pub for the first time and I want to see how good the kitchen is, I always order a Reuben. If they can't do THAT properly, I'm gonna stay away from anything that actually might require actually some culinary skill

First of all, it's a sandwich. It's not one piece of bread with 1/2 lb meat piled on one side and an oprhan piece of bread just sitting all by itself. If I have to eat it with a knife and fork, it's not a sandwich.

You have to be able to pick it up to eat it and if a cook can't grasp the essence of a sandwich they have no business in a kitchen

Corned beef. Not pastrami, not Montreal smoked meat. Corned beef, thnly sliced.

Rye bread (although pumpernickel works). No, not tasteless white bread and not whole wheat bread.

Russian dressing. Not Thousand Island.

Real Gruyere or Swiss Cheese, not some slice of Kraft Cheese Food.

Everything must be heated through when you grill it. I don't want to bit into warm corn beef, melted cheese and cold sauerkrat. Also, if you want to do it properly buy a panini grill.

Serve with a kosher dill.

I figure if you can't do that properly, ordering something more challenging (and likely more expensive) is a waste of time and money.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The grilled cheese is always a top-notch option, and I like the poor-man's grilled cheese too (slice of cheese ready for the moment the bread pops from the toaster ... I've done that a few times).

But my choices are as followed:

1) butter and cheese. No mas.

2) bologna, mayo, catsup. American cheese optional.

Heavenly.

10. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Three fav's, depending on whether I was at home, my grandma's, or my uncle's place.

At home: PB&J (hafta go with the grape, but the grape jam adds more tang than the jelly.

At Grandma's: Tomato sandwich. Toasted bread, buttered (real butter, not the phony stuff), thinly spread w/mayo, and a bread sized slice of on of her chilled, fresh, garden-grown tomatoes in the middle.

At my uncle's: PB&cheese on fresh, soft white bread. Sounds gross, but Kraft used to make a style of sliced cheese (one of the few pre-sliced ones in the late 40's-early 50's) called "Old English Cheddar Cheese." Can't find it anymore, but it was the only sliced cheese that rerally tasted like cheese. Nothing else works on the PB&cheese but that, so I haven't had one in years.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Clarification please?
    I don't understand why it's a "poor-man's grilled cheese" ... how hard is it to turn on the oven, put some butter in the pan and grill up some bread and cheese?

:)

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Butter is expensive?

Draft saved Draft deleted