1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your CD collection

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

How much can I get for Night Ranger's complete collection?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's tricky, since you're also the only potential buyer...

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I still buy CDs pretty frequently, thought it's mostly for stuff that is unavailable via iTunes/Amazon/eMusic/"borrowing" sites.

Also, a physical disk is nice as a backup or if you want to increase bit rates (some of my CDs were first imported at 128 kbps; 256 or 320 sounds markedly better) on an MP3 player.

But the primary reason I still buy is for the used CD store bargains ... last week, I bought 17 albums for just over $25. Can't beat that, even if no Night Ranger discs were in the cheap-o Chumbawamba dollar bins.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

:D

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shhhh. I'm trying to build interest by bidding against myself on EBay.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Pfft...illegally downloaded them.

As far as selling, go down to your local used CD store. I brought in around 50 discs about a month ago and got $75. Not bad. They took 'em all too. Online services were all over the place regarding value of CDs. Too many rip-off warnings made my decision to go to the store very easy.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Luddite boy checking in. I'm sitting next to shelves filled with about 200 CDs (my wife's and mine) as I type this.

Upstairs in my room is a working turntable and two crates of LPs. I still play them, especially when I'm doing chores or writing letters.

No, I'm not kidding about that. An LP is nice for folding laundry, because during the time a 20-25 minute record side plays, you can fold and put away a basket of laundry.

I guess the only "old format" of music I don't really use anymore is cassettes. Their only attribute was their portability. Sound quality was horrible. Once CDs came out, cassette tapes were done.

No Mp3 or Ipod for me. However, I do listen to radio stations online and/or punch up a YouTube video at work sometimes.

So I guess I'm not completely living in the stone age ... :)

8. Flash

Flash Active Member

Keeping LPs I can completely understand ... and the chief reason is album art. We've really lost a wonderful genre by moving through the formats and leaving vinyl behind.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I bought a ton of CDs that I didn't really need when our Circut City went out of business last year, so I've been pretty conservative.

Honestly, I think I can only remember buying three in recent memory -- V.V. Brown, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros and the first Aerosmith greatest hits CD (if you look, you can't get Dream On on iTunes).

I buy everything else on iTunes. I'm jinxing myself here, but I'm pretty confident (hopefull) that my laptop and my iPod won't crash at the same time so my purchases won't be lost.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

The most dated phrase in this post--and there was a lot to choose from--is "writing letters." :D

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Most of mine sold for 99 cents, but I made a couple of bucks on the postage too. I also sold CD bundles like a bunch of U2 together or Metallica or REM. Those would sell for as much as $50 or so.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Funny thing about that, BYH. When I moved out west, for reasons I don't completely understand, I set a goal of writing one handwritten, somewhat lengthy letter per month to an old friend or family member. Everybody talks about how they love to get letters -- even in this day and age of electronic gizmos -- but very few write them.

So I figure in the 13 months I've lived out here, I've written about 15 letters to people ranging from my 89-year-old grandpa to 20-somethings I used to work with.

I've received written replys from two people. Yep, both 20-somethings. And my grandpa is the one sending me the chain e-mail jokes!

Draft saved Draft deleted