1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your birthday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was squirted out exactly 23 years after Hiroshima. So watch your ass or I'll nuke you.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

December 7.

The story goes, when my grandmother was informed of my birth, her response was, "It's one disaster after another."

I always thought it was a little mean spirited, but then there is a dark history surrounding that day.

43 BC – Marcus Tullius Cicero is assassinated

1724 – Tumult of Thorn – religious unrest is followed by the execution of nine Protestant citizens and the mayor of Thorn (Toruń) by Polish authorities.

1862 – US Civil War: Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas.

1869 – American outlaw Jesse James commits his first confirmed bank robbery in Gallatin, Missouri.

1917 – World War I: The United States declares war on Austria-Hungary.

1941 – World War II: Attack on Pearl Harbor – The Imperial Japanese Navy attacks the United States Pacific Fleet and its defending Army Air Forces and Marine air forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, causing a declaration of war upon Japan by the United States. Japan also invades Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and the Dutch East Indies at the same time (December 8 in Asia).

1946 – A fire at the Winecoff Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia kills 119 people, the deadliest hotel fire in U.S. history.

1988 – Spitak Earthquake: In Armenia an earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale kills nearly 25,000, injures 15,000 and leaves 400,000 homeless.

1993 – The Long Island Rail Road massacre: Passenger Colin Ferguson murders six people and injures 19 others on the LIRR in Nassau County, New York.

Births
    Gerry Cheevers, Johnny Bench, Larry Bird, Ravishing Rick Rude, Terrell Owens, Georges Laraque, Brent Johnson (CFL), John Terry,

Deaths
    Cicero, Roman politician and philosopher, Pope Eutychian, Otto II, Holy Roman Emperor, Pope Innocent IV, Fivemedal of honour recipients in the Pearl Harbour attack, LeeRoy Yarbrough, J.C. Tremblay.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

July 10

Notable births: Andy Capp creator Reg Smythe (I'll drink to that), David Brinkley, Jake LaMotta, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, John Bradley (one of the Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima), rassler Bobo Brazil, Fred Gwynne, former NYC mayor David Dinkins, Ronnie James Dio (RIP), Arthur Ashe (RIP), Ron Glass (Harris on Barney Miller), Hal McRae (I will throw a phone in his honour on our next birthday), Virginia Wade, Chico Resch, Greg Kihn (they don't write 'em like that anymore), Canuckistani rock legend Kim Mitchell, Triumph (ugh) guitarist Rik Emmett, Hawk Dawson, Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys and Urban Meyer (one year before me).

Those who took the dirt nap: Hadrian (of wall fame), Jelly Roll Morton, John D. Rockefeller, Arthur Fiedler and Mel Blanc (that's all, folks)

And "Satisfaction" went No. 1 in the US the day I was born in 1965.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I was LB's 18th birthday present. Woohoo!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Sept. 4 (Overall, pretty blah list)

Events

1774 – New Caledonia is first sighted by Europeans, during the second voyage of Captain James Cook.
    1781 – Los Angeles, California, is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of Porziuncola) by 44 Spanish settlers.
    1812 – War of 1812: The Siege of Fort Harrison begins when the fort is set on fire.
    1862 – Civil War Maryland Campaign: General Robert E. Lee takes the Army of Northern Virginia, and the war, into the North.
    1870 – Emperor Napoleon III of France is deposed and the Third Republic is declared.
    1886 – American Indian Wars: after almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo, with his remaining warriors, surrenders to General Nelson Miles in Arizona.
    1888 – George Eastman registers the trademark Kodak and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
    1923 – Maiden flight of the first U.S. airship, the USS Shenandoah.
    1939 – World War II: a Bristol Blenheim is the first British aircraft to cross the German coast following the declaration of war and German ships are bombed.
    1941 – World War II: a German submarine makes the first attack against a United States ship, the USS Greer.
    1944 – World War II: Finland exits from the war with Soviet Union.
    1950 – Darlington Raceway is the site of the inaugural Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
    1957 – American Civil Rights Movement: Little Rock Crisis – Orval Faubus, governor of Arkansas, calls out the National Guard to prevent African American students from enrolling in Central High School.
    1957 – The Ford Motor Company introduces the Edsel.
    1963 – Swissair Flight 306 crashes near Dürrenäsch, Switzerland, killing all 80 people on board.
    1967 – Vietnam War: Operation Swift begins: U.S. Marines engage the North Vietnamese in battle in the Que Son Valley.
    1971 – Alaska Airlines Flight 1866 crashes near Juneau, Alaska, killing all 111 people on board.
    1972 – Mark Spitz becomes the first competitor to win seven medals at a single Olympic Games.
    1998 – Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.
    2001 – Tokyo DisneySea opens to the public as part of the Tokyo Disney Resort in Urayasu, Chiba, Japan.
    2010 – Canterbury earthquake: a 7.1 magnitude earthquake which struck the South Island of New Zealand at 4:35 am causing widespread damage and several power outages.

Births

1901 – William Lyons, English industrialist and businessman, co-founded Jaguar cars (d. 1985)
    1917 – Henry Ford II, American businessman (d. 1987)
    1918 – Paul Harvey, American radio host (d. 2009)
    1928 – Dick York, American actor (d. 1992)
    1942 – Jerry Jarrett, American wrestler and promoter
    1942 – Merald "Bubba" Knight, American singer-songwriter and producer (Gladys Knight & The Pips)
    1946 – Dave Liebman, American saxophonist, bandleader, and composer
    1949 – Tom Watson, American golfer
    1950 – Doyle Alexander, American baseball player
    1951 – Martin Chambers, English drummer and singer (The Pretenders)
    1951 – Judith Ivey, American actress
    1955 – Brian Schweitzer, American politician, 23rd Governor of Montana
    1956 – Candy Loving, American model
    1956 – Blackie Lawless, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and actor (W.A.S.P., London, Sister, and New York Dolls)
    1957 – Khandi Alexander, American actress
    1960 – Damon Wayans, American actor and comedian
    1963 – John Vanbiesbrouck, American ice hockey player
    1968 – John DiMaggio, American voice actor
    1968 – Mike Piazza, American baseball player
    1973 – Jason David Frank, American actor and mixed martial artist
    1973 – Aaron Fultz, American baseball player

1974 – Carmit Bachar, American singer, dancer, and actress (Pussycat Dolls)
    1975 – Mark Ronson, English DJ, musician and producer, co-founder of Allido Records
    1977 – Sun-Woo Kim, South Korean baseball player
    1981 – Beyoncé Knowles, African-American singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, and actress (Destiny's Child)
    1982 – Whitney Cummings, American comedian and actress
    1991 – Carter Jenkins, American actor
    1992 – Amanda Fein, American actress
    1992 – Caitlin Fein, American actress

Deaths

422 – Pope Boniface I
    1037 – Bermudo III of León (b. 1010)
    1063 – Tughril, Turkish ruler (b. 990)
    1199 – Joan of England, Queen of Sicily (b. 1165)
    1537 – Johann Dietenberger, German theologian (b. 1475)
    1588 – Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, English politician (b. 1532)
    1767 – Charles Townshend, English politician (b. 1725)
    1780 – John Fielding, English magistrate and reformer (b. 1721)
    1864 – John Hunt Morgan, American military leader (b. 1825)
    1909 – Clyde Fitch, American dramatist and playwright (b. 1865)
    1965 – Albert Schweitzer, Alsatian physician and missionary, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1875)
    1974 – Creighton Abrams, American general (b. 1914)
    1986 – Hank Greenberg, American baseball player (b. 1911)
    1990 – Irene Dunne American actress (b. 1898)
    1991 – Dottie West, American singer-songwriter (b. 1932)
    1995 – Chuck Greenberg, American musician, composer, and producer (Shadowfax) (b. 1950)
    1997 – Aldo Rossi, Italian architect (b. 1931)
    2001 – Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf, American radio personality (b. 1962)
    2004 – Alphonso Ford, American basketball player (b. 1971)
    2006 – Steve Irwin, Australian zoologist and television host (b. 1962)
    2011 – Lee Roy Selmon, American football player (b. 1954)
    2012 – Charlie Rose, American politician (b. 1939)
    2012 – George Savitsky, American football player (b. 1924)

Sept. 4 is also National Newspaper Carrier day. :)

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're a day late, son!

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

My birthday is Feb. 8. My dad's birthday is May 8, or three months to the day after mine. Of course, I learned in HS health class that another way of looking at it is that it's nine months to the day before mine... I could have lived happy without knowing that. For the record, my sister's is nine months and a couple of days after their anniversary.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

mind. fucking. blown.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I was hoping you'd post.

Also, for us Nutmeggers: The date of the Mianus River Bridge collapse in Greenwich. My father was an engineer with the Connecticut DOT and I remember him talking about this that night because it happened on my seventh birthday, in 1983. It instantly made me fearful of bridges whenever we'd visit my aunt in Norwalk (we live in Eastern Connecticut, so it was a 90-minute drive on I-95 across many bridges).

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mine is the same day as Mr. Sonner.

I'll sit back down now.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Happy birthday.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A full-term baby conceived on Christmas Eve would be born much later than August 9.

Draft saved Draft deleted