1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your all-time favorite baseball team of your lifetime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 27, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How do you take Mattingly, Jeter, Nettles, Rickey, Guidry, Rivera and not take Munson and Gossage.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Munson died before I really knew about him. I liked Goose as well, but he left the Yankees when I was kinda young and still preferred hitters over pitchers.

3. And Gossage was/is an asshole.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Favorite team from any one season -- 78 Yankees

All time

C Munson
    1B Mattingly
    2B Randolph
    SS Jeter
    3B Nettles
    OF Reggie
    OF O'Neil
    OF Bernie
    DH Baylor
    SP Guidry
    SP Pettitte
    SP Duque
    SP Key
    RP Gossage
    RP Rivera

Non-Yankees
    C Benito Santiago
    1B Jim Thome
    2B Tom Herr
    SS Mike Bordick
    3B Vinny Castilla
    OF Larry Walker
    OF Pete Incaviglia
    OF Dave Parker
    SP Mike Scott
    SP Ben McDonald
    SP Frank Viola
    SP Dave Stewart
    RP Bobby Jenks
    RP Billy Wagner

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

'78 Yankees, too. '98 Yankees were the best team I have ever watched, but my favorites were '76 to '78ish. Nothing can ever compete with childhood memories.

Spring Training, 1990, my best college friend (a Phillies fan) and I are at Yankees camp. He looks around and sees Oscar Azocar, Kevin Maas and "stars" Mel Hall, Claudell Washington, Andy Hawkins, being led onto the field by manager Bucky Dent (who was fired early into the season and replaced by Stump Merrill) and he turns to me and says, "This is how I know you aren't a bandwagon fan."

6. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Huge Braves fan, so it will be slanted, but in my lifetime this would be my all-time favorites team:

C - Javy Lopez
    1B - Thome
    2B - Craig Biggio
    SS - Nomar
    3B - Chipper
    OF - Griffey Jr.
    OF - Gwynn
    OF - Andruw Jones
    SP: Maddux
    SP: Smoltz
    SP: Pedro
    SP: Glavine
    SP: Randy Johnson
    CL: Hoffman
    UTIL - David Justice (All-time Fav)

HM: Sandberg, Puckett, Ripken, Ozzie

7. cjericho

Some of my favorite times at Yankee Stadium were the 92 and 93 seasons when they were bad. About 6-8 of us went to a good amount of games and sat out in the bleachers. We used to sit near Ali, the older guy with the cowbell. The Daily News wrote a couple grafs in the sports section when he died.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know who you are talking about -- the Puerto Rican guy with the cowbell in the bleachers. For some reason your post made me think of this guy, who I hadn't thought of in a while. Freddy Schuman. ... he used to walk around the stadium, handing people the spoon to bang on his pan.

[​IMG]

9. cjericho

Yes Freddy used to bang the pan and give him a high 5 if we saw him outside stadium before the game.
    Ali was great. Think his son, or maybe nephew took over for him after he died for a few seasons. Now the bleachers at the new stadium
    are nowhere near as good IMHO.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sat in those seats at the Pinstripe Bowl. Can't believe they built in an obstructed view by placing a restaurant in dead center.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've kind of put a lot of thought into this as a kid who grew up without a local baseball team so had a favorite from afar and then in his late teens finally got a home team and those teams are the Reds and Rockies. The latter really haven't had a lot to write home about other than the 2007 miracle run, which was very fun but ultimately nothing overall special teamwise in my mind. So to me it's the 1990 Reds. Led the division wire-to-wire and upset its way to the World Series title including sweeping the very favored A's.

Draft saved Draft deleted