1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your all-time favorite baseball team of your lifetime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 27, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I grew up a Dodgers fan because the Pirates were rolling in cocaine in the mid-1980s. 87 Dodgers were completely shitty as well but it was covered up by the fact that Pedro Guerrero was back. Fred Claire Picking up Gibson in free agency plus the trade with the A's that brought Mike Davis and a couple others really propelled that team in 88, plus Hershiser having a monster seasson.

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I think Mike Davis had a low RAW in 1988.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mike Davis had one of the best base on balls in history.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Players I'd have rooted for even if they played for the stinkin rotten awful Yankees:

C: Johnny Bench
    1B: Pete Rose
    2B: Ryne Sandberg
    3B: George Brett
    SS: Ozzie Smith
    LF: Kevin Mitchell
    CF: Dale Murphy
    RF: Ben Zobrist
    SP: David Price, Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, Justin Verlander
    RP: Dan Quisenberry, John Smoltz, Lee Smith
    Mgr: Joe Maddon

Favorite one-year teams, by decade: 1976 Reds, 1985 Royals, 1994 Reds, 2008 Rays, 2015 Royals.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My dad took me to the 1971 ASG. For the generations of the 1950s-70s, that was probably the most star-studded game ever.

We were in the left field upper deck. I still remember the crowd gasping/hushing at Reggie Jackson's blast, and then the "thoom" when it crashed into the metallic box on the light tower 200 feet above the right field roof.

The crowd stayed dead silent for a second, stunned, trying to figure out what the hell just happened. As the ball dropped straight down to the field, the place went crazy.

Earlier in the game, Hank Aaron hit a home run.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Too many guys with tough-to-spell Polish names on that team. Anyone else remember Jerry Dubzinski?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1980 Phillies. After three consecutive postseason flops (1976-78), this team managed to take it. Gripping NLCS vs. the Astros, and a World Series I believe could have turned the other way if not for this play:

I swear, it looked like Tug McGraw was throwing lollipops in that ninth inning.

The 76 Phils were the greatest 1-8 lineup I've ever seen from that franchise. Only problem was, the Cincinnati Reds matched or exceeded them in just about every spot.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Confused?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Might be different if you ask me tomorrow...

C - Thurman Munson
    1b - Harmon Killebrew
    2b - Ron Hunt
    3b - Scott Rolen
    ss - Tim Foli
    lf - Barry Bonds
    cf - Rickey Henderson
    rf - Dave Parker
    sp - Pedro Martinez
    sp- Bob Gibson
    sp - Orlando Hernandez
    sp - Steve Rogers
    sp - Greg Maddux
    rp - Sparky Lyle
    rp - Tom Henke
    rp - Latroy Hawkins.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As far as all-time favorite team to hate, no one will ever surpass the 90s Braves for me. I actually pulled for them in the 91 playoffs for the sake of my homeroom teacher, a genuine diehard. (She was crying the morning after the Game 7 loss to the Twins.) But holy hell, in short order my entire hometown went from giving no shits about the Braves to the biggest bunch of bandwagon jumpers you ever saw, all of them proclaiming they'd been there for all the Dale Murphy 100-loss clunkers.

Once I graduated high school in Tennessee and moved south to Alabama, it only got worse. It certainly didn't help that I moved in August 1993, during the middle of the last real pennant race, and endured the Braves edging out the 103-win Giants when Salomon Torres imploded against LA on the last day of the season.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Individuals
    C: Carlton Fisk
    1B: Don Mattingly
    2B: Ryne Sandberg
    SS: Derek Jeter
    3B: Graig Nettles
    LF: Rickey Henderson
    CF: Lenny Dykstra
    RF: Reggie Jackson
    SP: Dwight Gooden, Ron Guidry, Phil Niekro, Randy Johnson, Sid Fernandez
    CL: Mariano Rivera, Dennis Eckersley, Dan Quisenberry, Randy Myers, John Franco
    Bench: Pete Rose, Carl Yazstremski, Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter, Joe Carter.

12. '79 Pirates and '82 Angels.

Battery: Gaylord Perry, Tony Pena
    1B: Don Mattingly
    2B: Bobby Grich
    SS: Dave Concepcion
    3B: Bill Madlock
    OF: Clemente, Mike Easler, Dave Parker
    P: Pedro Martinez, Koufax, Gibson and Jim Rooker
    Bullpen: Bruce Sutter, Kent Tekulve, Dennis Eckersly and Rivera
    Bench: Duke Snider, Mantle, Yaz. Rusty Staub, Van Slyke, Johnny Ray

Last edited: May 29, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted