1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 2009 Pulitzer Winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What I consider the most prestigious of the Pulitzers goes to a newspaper which no longer exists as a standalone newspaper, but is instead delivered as a section of the Review-Journal.

Have to figure the R-J people find this all somewhat galling, considering this note on the Wikipedia article about the Las Vegas Sun:<blockquote>The two newspapers' editorial departments continue to have in-print disputes, sometimes degrading into personal attacks between <i>(Sun publisher)</i> Brian Greenspun and Review-Journal publisher Sherman Frederick.</blockquote>The Review-Journal's web site makes no mention whatsoever of the Pulitzer.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have a legitimate chance to remind readers why newspapers are important and the good they have done in the last year and you take a pass out of petty jealousy. Brilliant.
    Every paper in America should put out a full page house ad reminding people how newspapers have changed the world in the last year.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What happens at the Las Vegas Sun stays at the Las Vegas Sun.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I bought a freep in a grocery store on the west side of the town where you work at 9:30 pm. last night. YOu just have to go the extra two miles.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I understand, Magic; you make an important distinction -- and that's certainly better than the situation in Mesa, Ariz.

The efforts of the Freep to keep after the local news will be more important than ever to Detroit-area folks in the coming years, as Michigan (especially the auto industry) tries to get up off the mat. Congrats to all at the Free Press on winning a Pulitzer.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It should also be noted that Giblin was among the 142 EVT layoffs in October.

So was Patti Epler, the editor who oversaw the series.

7. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah. The Pulitzers, the epitome of writing awards, are exactly the same as a shuffleboard tournament.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Analogy

Your head

(emphasis on relative positioning)

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Thanks very much! I was involved in the project from an editing/headline/cutline writing standpoint so it's very satisfying. And the reporters who did the work said they will not stop. They were joking around tonight about back-to-back! We are going to keep fighting the good fight here and hopefully the paper will continue to support us. I'll tell you one thing: Winning that Pulitzer buys you a lot of goodwill with the publisher, and presumably, with Gannett!

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

The way I read that, he was saying nobody cares who won the Pulitzers the same way nobody cares who won a shuffleboard tournament on the Titanic because the same way the Titanic sank, newspapers are also dying.

My bad if I misread.

11. Foiled again!

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

He's at the Arizona Guardian now (political capitol beat-type operation, from what I can glean from its Web site http://www.arizonaguardian.com/az/index.php)

And, it does my heart good to see, they require a subscription to access premium content. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted