1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 2007 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame inductees are...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

yep

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Anybody who thinks KISS deserves to be in the R&RHOF over groups like the Ink Spots and the Flamingos is brain-damaged.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Now we're penalizing one of the greatest rock bands ever because the bass player is an asshole? Good thing Eddie Van Halen has his son to play bass, huh?

So what if their music didn't fuckin speak to you in a profound, artsy douchebag type of way. It still fuckin rocked. That overpriced museum must have a bunch of marching band nerds selecting its entrants every year.

4. This is why Halls of Fame suck, and this one should have been in Memphis anyway.

5. Flying Headbutt

It may as well be in Bismarck, whichever Dakota that's in, since it's a hall of fraud.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

If every band with an asshole for a bass player was excluded, the Beatles wouldn't be there. Get off your high horse.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should have Kiss before it has the Ink Spots, not that I'm saying boot the Ink Spots. And why the slam at McCartney? He's one of the easiest interviews in entertainment.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Ink Spots were one of the forerunners of what came to be known as r&b, and doo-wop.

Kiss was a forerunner for anyone who wanted to wear a codpiece.

Ink Spots > Kiss, for Hall of Fame purposes.

As for the argument that "there are people I've never heard of in there" the R&R HOF isn't (presumably) supposed to be a measure of who is most popular, but who most influential in the genre. By that measure, Alice Cooper should be in before Kiss, because they (as Alice Cooper the band) were doing shock-rock and wacked-out stage shows long before Kiss ripped them off. Alice Cooper's 1969-75 output holds up a lot better over time that Kiss' songs, too.

I would say the most notable omissions right now are Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rush, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Roxy Music, Todd Rundgren, Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff (and Thom Bell, Gene McFadden and John Whithead -- all architects of the Philly sound), Kraftwerk (talk about influential), and a whole mess of session players -- Carol Kaye, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Jim Gordon (might not get in because he murdered his mother), Jim Keltner, Rick Wakeman (wouldn't put Yes in, but would put him in individually), the Wrecking Crew (Phil Spector's studio group, although Hal Blaine himself is already in) and the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.

9. I never thought of the session-player argument, but it's an awfully good one.
    Rick Wakeman, though?
    Ewwwwwww.
    Although his blowhard pomposity did help make punk both inevitable and necessary, so maybe he gets a Founders slot.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And your wisemen don't know how it feels
    To be thick as a brick.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wakeman tended to do well when he wasn't in charge of a project. For example, he played piano on David Bowie's "Hunky Dory" (the one with "Changes" on it). FB, there is indeed a sideman wing of the RRHOF (that's how the likes of the Funk Brothers got in).

Speaking of keyboards, Robert Moog should definitely be in, too.

12. Flying Headbutt

Hey hoser, that's what I'm saying. Someone ripped Gene Simmons for being an asshole, when, duh, every band is typically made of assholes. And I'm the one on the high horse for arguing with the music snobs here? Sheesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted