1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Had a chance to be #1 in the world and misses two straight cuts? Gutless?

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He definitely doesn't bring his best game across the pond. I really think the fact that the galleries don't treat him like a member of the Beatles sort of bugs him. He seems like a golfer very much driven by the energy of his supportive fans.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That being said he's had awful luck in his last two putts.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

First Open was in 1860, thus the 150-year notation.
    139th actual tournament. No tournaments in 1871, 1915-1919 (World War I) and 1940-1945 (World War II).

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And if someone is counting back to 1860 (and ignoring the fact that it wasn't held 12 other times), then this would be the 151st Open ... not 150th

It's the 150th anniversary of the first Open

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Can you please explain that concept to the National Football League?

[​IMG]

It pisses me off to no end how often that gets butchered.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. CR19

CR19 Member

I'm still shocked that this guy is near the top of the leader board.
    [​IMG]

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Low American on the day.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Did I read correctly that all four rounds are only available on ESPN?

Well, good thing this free-TV-only sports fan has the local newspaper! :)

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Unless it gets Biblical out there over the next three days, I think Tiger's gonna be the man to beat. I think he can keep cranking out those 67's all week long.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think over the weekend it will be on espn3.com as well, if you are able to get that.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One thing I respect about the R&A is that they don't doctor a course the way the USGA does for the US Open. The Open courses are almost always in their natural state. Sure, they pushed the tee back on 17 and I ahve no problem with that. But they don't make the rough artificially long or the fairways extra narrow. One really gets an appreciation for what the course was like many years ago.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the double greens. Makes for a unique challenge both on approach shots and when putting.

No, it's not a terribly difficult course when the weather is good. Didn't Woods shoot like 19-under when he won in 2000? But there's no other course in the world really like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted