1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Gun for Hire Looking for Advice From Old Hands

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by El_Sol, Sep 15, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

El Sol has made the best first impression of anybody in the 3 or 4 years I've been around here.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sol,

Do no waste your time going back and getting a journalism degree. A creative writing degree is fine. You just need experience.

Might need to move to find a job at a smaller paper, though.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Never work for free. If you work for free you are telling the editor your work has no value.

4. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders, El_Sol. That, ambition, and perseverance will take you a long way. Just make sure you love this work. If you do, then go for it.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't just learn how to write. Look around you. The multiple-platform multimedia thing ain't going away, no matter how much some in the business wish it would.

Become a social media whiz, a virtuoso with those flip video cameras. Learn how to do it all.

When I took my writing classes way way WAY back in the 1970s, if my assignment was to cover a game, I went out and covered the game. Wrote a story for "the next day's paper."

Last spring, I sent my students out to a game. They had to do a pregame blog, a midgame blog and an end game blog. They had to tweet during the game. Then they had to produce a "next day's paper" story that told me something I didn't already know from all the blogging and tweeting. Next year, I'll add uploading sound files to it.

Still room for great writing in there? Sure. I had a kid who was a music freak rather than a sports freak so I let him do all his assignments around music. For his final project, he went to a concert by some "slam" band. Set the scene with a blog. Tweeted throughout. A quick post-concert blog. Pictures, video of the crowd dancing, sound. And a longer review that was Rolling Stone quality. A modern editor would spring wood to get such an avalanche of stuff that could be used across all "platforms."

This was a kid who usually showed up late and mostly showed up stoned. I told him he needed to buy an alarm clock, put down the pipe and get serious. He had a chance to be really fucking good.

The computer is your friend. Learn all the tricks you can do with one.

6. RocktimusPrime

RocktimusPrime New Member

Call local community papers, offer to write for free and work a job to support yourself. When I got out of college I reached out to my local community paper and wrote some news for awhile. When a sports editor position opened up at the paper, I applied and made the case that they knew I could write, knew I could make deadline and lived in the area. Got the job and been working in sports journalism ever since.

Try it.

7. I'm not saying this to be harsh, so I apologize if it comes off that way. But if I were you, I'd spend some time sharpening your grammar skills. I know it's just a forum, so perhaps that explains it, but there are a handful of mistakes in your posts. As an editor, I'm looking for freelancers who produce clean and concise copy. If somebody turns in work with a lot of spelling or grammatical errors, I won't use them again. There are far too many clean, hard-working and talented writers looking for work to accept raw copy.

Also, and more importantly, listen to the moderator. His advice is golden. You need to be able to do it all.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just in case it wasn't clear: I don't think this board's consensus advice is *ever* to go back to school to get a journalism degree.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Find a spouse who understands she will be the breadwinner and your job will entail long hours, weird days, missed holidays-events-birthdays-anniversaries, furloughs, layoffs, pay reductions, long nights and other non-8 to 5 'regular' job days before getting marriedto support you.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This has been in my head all day and I couldn't figure out why. It hit me a little while ago. Almost all (and I mean 99%) of the games I cover don't have wireless access. Our paper is just getting into this stuff, so what do you suggest for someone who wants to make an impression but is somewhat technologically limited by the facilities that they go to, not their own knowledge?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You know me well enough to know I'm not saying this to come off like an ass - but this is why God invented the smart phone.

You are responsible for your own technology. I told my students to go in prepared, call ahead or get their way early and figure out the turf. "I couldn't get online" is not an acceptable excuse. You can blog, tweet and blog some more from your phone. You can go somewhere else to file the full story. I'm sure we can get all kinds of tales about that. I had one writer who used to camp out behind a closed Chick-fil-A and poach its wireless signal. I haven't been too many places where there wasn't a wifi within range.

Plan ahead.

(and in this business, if you don't have a smart phone - get one)

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted