1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You'll have to kill the OSU president if you want college football playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If TCU and Boise State are coasting by feasting on inferior competition, Golly Gee should shut his pie hole and schedule both teams next year.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the tombstones on this thread. Anyhoo, this Gordon Gee is the same guy who didn't want Vanderbilt to have an athletic department. Apparently one is now OK, as long as it's a good one like Ohio State's. And the BCS schools aren't stupid enough to break away. After all, no one gives a shit about the NBA Development League and wouldn't give a shit about an NFL Development League. Which is what a BCS breakaway would be creating versions of.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What a great smackdown from Wetzel. He has got this entire fiasco down cold.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Did Gordon's bowtie get screwed on the wrong way? Does that mean that I-AA, Div. II and Div. III (and the NAIA) are all farm systems for the NFL, since they *DO* have playoffs?

Or maybe Div. I-A (sorry, I refuse to call it by the other letters) is more academically-inclined than Div. III, since they don't spend all of November and December in a month-long tournament that adds five games to some teams' seasons.

Just wondering.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

well it's also academics. a playoff would take those student athletes away from their studies and these educators won't stand for it. damn schools like ohio state and alabama have more concern for academics. i mean if they had a playoff they'd be football factories like lehigh or colgate.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

If a college faculty member approached a subject in his area of expertese with as little knowledge and preparation as Gordon Gee did with this statement, they shouldn't be a college teacher.

His comments about strength of schedule is absurd because top teams in major conferences will not schedule teams from non-BCS conferences. It is hard to believe anyone with a passing familiarity with college sports administration would not know this fact.

The question, Gordon Gee, is are you clueless or dishonest?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hopefully by that time Boise State will get a real field... or chunk the program altogether.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The comedy of this is that as someone who actually follows MAC football, I know that Eastern would be a 10-point home underdog against Little Sisters of the Poor.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Uh, they schedule 3-4 non AQ teams every single year.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

After all, all those athletic powerhouses in Division III don't need to go to class during their five-week, 32-team tournament.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg: isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You know what the only sign of intelligent life in Mt. Pleasant is?

Ypsilanti 141 miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted