1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won't have Fireman Ed to kick around any more

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 25, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When's the final ballot due for the SportsJournalists.com Awards?

I've got to keep my eye on this feud. It has potential.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Firefighters in LA spend that much in gas for a weekend off-roading with all their toys in Glamis.

For pete's sake, its a couple hours overtime for a shift, or one guy's disability payment, while he's on to his next job, post-firefighting.

Buy yourselves an ice machine, guys. How gauche.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure you would have no problem entering a burning building Poin or using the jaws of life to get somebody out of a horrific car accident. We should pay these people minimum wage, bunch of lazy bums.

4. poindexter

Yes, Mr. Strawman, there is absolutely nothing in between the taxpayer funded firefighter overtime/disability and pension scams, and making $8.75 an hour. No in between.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What should the tax payer funded firefighter earn Poin? Should they be compensated if the do work overtime?

6. poindexter

I am only going by Southern California - $70-$80 grand a year. That's about half the salary most LA County/Long Beach make.
    They'd find plenty of qualified men and women.

The whole "danger" thing is a red herring. Late night liquor store or gas station jobs are a shitload more dangerous.
    http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/working-late-night-retail-dangerous-job/article_f95052d7-655c-53c3-ab44-23bbcd6c86df.html
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/media/press/2012releases/010312.shtm

Nobody is calling them heroes.

One thing about the 24 hour shifts - it causes havoc on marriages. Divorce rates very high among firemen.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That has more to do with the average firefighter having a hard time keeping it in his pants than the shifts.

Draft saved Draft deleted