1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Won't Believe What Happened in Orlando Next ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

This is an interesting question. When you're in a place where the wildlife is practically everywhere and locals know the dangers, do you need to explicitly state the dangers? Or is it the responsibility of the visitor to know what is native to the area and understand key precautions?

For instance, I know there aren't signs warning not to walk barefoot in certain parks in the Midwest and Southwest (where you could be bitten by a number of nasty snakes), nor are there generally giant bear/shark warnings in places with those. Apparently any number of small public ponds and lakes in Florida don't have posted alligator warnings because it's so ingrained in the population there.

What about the guy who just walked off the path in Yellowstone and boiled/acid-burned to death? They have a warning sign that says "Unstable Ground/Boiling Water/Stay on Designated Path" but don't say "the ground may crack beneath your feet and drop you into acidic, boiling, water that will cook you alive." Some areas just have signs that say "Danger: Thermal Area" with a cross-out sign through a guy walking. Should that have been enough for him, or was it an understandable mistake since the signs didn't say "You might die if you leave the path"?

I'm sure Disney will get sued and settle, but I think legally the obligation should be more on the visitor. I don't think people can reasonably warn for every possibility, and I think when you go somewhere you're not familiar with, you take on the responsibility of knowing what's out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.