1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You think this could work?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxramblings07, Jul 9, 2007.

1. My big-time project every year at our shop is to design and lay out our football section (recently upped to 44 pages, broadsheet). A lot of work, but I love doing it.

I've struggled with cover ideas so far, but I thought of one recently that I think could work.

Our cover player will be of an area running back who is the No. 2 running back recruit in the nation (Rivals.com) and No. 10 overall in the nation. He's a stud, to say the least, and is going to Oklahoma.

My idea is to use the cover photo and use it as a Madden or NCAA Football video game cover. I know there are a lot of video game freaks out there, so I'm sure this has been brought up or even used before.

Our staff liked the idea, but I'm worried that this idea has been used way too much before. I haven't found anything online, though.

What do you guys (and gals) think? Should we go for it? If so, what would be the best way to blow up a Madden or NCAA Football cover to the size of a broadsheet page?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why would you do this? Is there a video game for high school kids now?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not only is it a hokey idea... have you considered you might need permission to use the video game cover?

4. Sure. The idea is to incorporate the player into the cover. The look of the cover would be the same, but obviously the words would be changed throughout the whole thing (i.e. where it says Madden NFL 07 would be This Area Football 07), etc.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would vote not. I think the players on those video game covers are generic. You'll take the attention away from the kid.

Rather showcase of really nice portrait of the kid than take away from it.

6. Cool. Thanks for the suggestions guys. We've got a little while before we start on cover ideas, so we can come up with something.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You know, I like the video game cover idea. I think it would create some buzz. Maybe get people to read the paper. If this kid is that good, you have a chance to do your Big Portrait of him for your player of the year story.

It's a case of making a special section cover stand out. But, I suggest, you make it cover most of the front, with your teases at the side or on the bottom.

8. boots

boots New Member

I like the idea. I think the kid you are talking about is Jermie Calhoun. And folks, he is a stud.
    Personally, I don't like featuring one kid, even if he is the stud, on the cover of a preseason tab. So many times, the kid never pans out. Not only that, it takes away from other outstanding players. The people in the area already know he's a stud without featuring him on the cover. Give other kids a piece of the glory too.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

so, boots, you like the idea then list a bunch of reasons why you wouldn't do it. ???

10. boots

boots New Member

Yes I do like the idea. It could work. It's cute.
    However, I just voiced reservations about doing it.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That sounds a little too parental for me. I've been a part of tabs with one-kid covers and multiple-kid covers that have both been well-received. If there's one dominant player that blows away everyone else, so be it. Run with him. You can still tease to other teams/players with mugshots off the cover.

I like the video game idea. Might be hokey to some folks here, but maybe to these 16-year-olds it will be completely fresh. Reminds me of the football-card theme, which has absolutely been done a zillion times. But to your readers it might be very, very cool if done right.

12. subhead

subhead Member

I like the idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted