1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You should love him like I do Jets fans!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 18, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Puhleeze. It's a fucking preseason game. Guess what, Peter King: THE GAME DOESN'T COUNT. All people saw of Favre was two series. Yet, the Meadowlands charges regular season prices for preseason football.

I don't blame the fans for not showing up for Favre's PRESEASON debut. If it's the REGULAR season and they don't show up, come talk to me. Otherwise, grab that pitcher of STFU and go back to compiling the high school agate.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No clue what high school agate has to do with Peter King, but this actually sounds like something he would write.

3. forever_town

It's called giving him a taste of his own medicine.

I could see bashing Jets fans if they didn't show up to an AFC Championship Game with Favre quarterbacking the team.

Unless they all have psychic friends or their wives are all in bed with Miss Cleo and she tells them Favre is going to throw five interceptions and the Jets are going to lose 80-3. Even then, I'd still question them if they didn't show up.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That would qualify as a Peter King "Great Moment" (TM) in my book.

5. forever_town

Because some random too-big-breasted woman showing what she's got is all the action Peter King will ever have? Or because Mikey is more likely to get laid that Peter King is?

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, since I was out of town for the first pre-season game for the Texans, I gave my tickets to AA, so that he could take Little Man to his first ever NFL game. Yeah, it's an exhibition game, and it doesn't count. And no one cares. But for that one day, a 5-year-old cared a lot that he got to see his Texans live.

So sometimes, there are people who make the trek to a pre-season game. (And for the record, my brother-in-law is taking my niece to the second pre-season home game. She, too, doesn't care that the game doesn't count. She gets to go and is excited.)

However, having said all that, King was totally off in what he said. And to paraphrase what others have said here, he was a pompous ass and totally off the mark.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

You bring up an interesting point here with this story. I know the Jets have one of those "tickets for kids" programs and I'd guess every other team has some sort of program like this. Considering how many empty seats you see at pre-season games, maybe the teams (and the NFL) should promote these programs more.

With the lack of demand for pre-season tickets (see all the no-shows for Favre's debut), odds are the tax deduction is higher then the price most season ticket holders sell the pre-season tix for.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Anyone who has stuck with the Jets during their mostly dismal last 40 years has nothing to answer for. Least of all a man whose entire being is tied up in being an apple polisher for the sport he covers.

Yet another reason to continue not reading Peter King. He is a caricature of a sports journalist, the type of "Latte in one hand, doughnut in the other" bozo who uses his bully pulpit to write about his daughter's high school exploits, his trials and tribulations as he tries to find a good latte in each city he visits on the company's dime, and his complete misunderstanding of his actual place in life. He fulfills a stereotype the rest of us have spent careers fighting against.

He kisses the asses of athletes for a living. He does not get to ask that a plane get delayed so his daughter can get her frackin' yogurt pretzels. He does not get to steal a baseball from some kid and come off like anything other than a massive douchebag. He does not get to admonish a long-suffering fanbase because they are wiser than showing up to a preseason game to worship at the altar of Favre.

You read SI's football preview issues, and there are features dissecting the game itself, none written by this once-solid journalist who now is busier consuming food on his company's expense account and writing columns that cater to the lowest common denominator of football enthusiast. The magazine already rid itself of Michael Silver's brand of "Look! I'm FRIENDS with the PLAYERS!!!!!" brand of journalism, a Peter King departure would be an equal addition by subtraction.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That is fucking funny.

Porkville Eatingcocker is sheer genius!

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The first thing I thought of when I read this was the scene in the first season of The Wire when Rawls is sitting across the table from McNulty and has the double bird waving at him. I can just see TSP doing that same thing to PK.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So Brett Favre played his first real home game with the Jets yesterday. Not a mention of the crowd in today's MMQB.

Draft saved Draft deleted