1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You only cover us when we win," Mexican style

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 19, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't see a mention of this in the soccer topics. Mexican club bars mzjof sports tabloid from press box, and rest of league following suit:

http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-football-clubs-ban-major-sports-tabloid-160651579--soccer.html

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Will the NHL follow suit and ban ESPN. ;)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I actually think this is a more important discussion than the thread title would imply. I didn't click on it for a while because of that.

But it's an interesting precedent, and good on the two teams that aren't following along with the others.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We really need more facts to make judgments about this, though. I don't think we can say for certain that the tabloid didn't deserve it until we read what the tabloid is publishing.

I covered one (fairly well-covered) team which had banned a media outlet two years before I landed on the beat. It wasn't a big enough outlet to cause a stir anywhere, but everyone who covered the beat knew it had happened. And the strange thing: No one cared. The outlet had published blatantly false rumors without seeking confirmation and delved into personal issues. The outlook from the remaining media was, We would never publish that bullshit, so we're not at risk.

I wondered if that was true, or if this was a precedent that could be built on. But it never happened.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

True. But the fact that two of the top clubs didn't back it, and the fact that it comes on the heels of a big losing streak, and all we have is "hate and abuses" leads me to not assume there's anything libelous being written.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Sun is still welcome (or allowed, at least) in the Liverpool press area, and their misstep was way more grievous (granted, it's been more than 20 years, but Liverpool supporters still boycott the publication).

7. JPsT

JPsT Member

Record isn't really a tabloid in the same vein as The Sun or anything. I'd call it a sports daily. They have pictures of women in bikinis and other "men's interest" type-things, but it's nothing out of the norm (especially South of the border).

Draft saved Draft deleted