1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You make the poker decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 7, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Right on, SG. I'm out of there faster than Sid Bream in a foot race -- providing Bonds isn't in left field.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yep, fold is DEFINITELY the play -- though a tough one. You shoulda never let it get to that point, pussy-betting your trips on the flop and on 4th St. Yes, you would have lost, but odds dictate that you'd win more than not by playing it strong.

rb

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

After only reading the initial post, I'm saying fold. You've two straights on the board that only require one card to fill them. After they both called you the whole way and then raise you on the river, one of them had to have hit a straight. Your trips are no good.

Also, I would have made a pot sized bet on the flop, $90 or so (not sure if any of the callers were in the blinds). I wouldn't have been too worried that someone had K-Q in the hole, but I would have been aware of it. I'd have to know the table a little to decide if anyone would have called the $30 with anything worse than K-Q (say Q-9 suited), but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone called with K-Q suited. So, after my $90 post-flop bet, if I have any callers, I'm putting them either on a made straight or a lower set (someone could easily call $30 with JJ or 10-10). Depending on my read, I'm either all-in on the turn, or I'm slowing down. If I think they have a set or any draw, I'm all-in. If I think they made their straight, I'm check-folding.

But, as with any poker game, it's all about the read.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

By pussy-betting my trips on the flop......it saved me LOTS of money.

One of the other callers FLOPPED the straight.

If I move all-in, do you think me's mucking.

Why?

What the hell beats him?

Nothing.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I believe his point was that said pussy bet didn't put any pressure on the players whom you thought were chasing a straight at the time.

If my hand is made and I think somebody is on the draw, I'll push hard. If they flopped the nuts, you're fucked coming and going.

6. bigpern23

Actually, your pussy betting only saved you about $10. Had you bet $90 (pot-sized bet) on the flop, if anyone stayed with you, you'd have gotten a much better read on what they had. It's easy to stay in with crap if you're only putting $30 into what becomes a $180 pot, even if you only have an inside straight draw.

Here's what happens with a stiff $90 bet on the flop: Anyone who stays with you likely has either a fantastic draw (outside straight draw with flush possibilities, for instance), a set, or a made straight. Either way, you're probably going to get a read on them and, in this case, you could check-fold and you only lost $10 more than the way you played it (assuming you make the correct read).

Also, if the caller didn't have any of those hands I mentioned and called (maybe with something like A-10), you'd be making more money when they call you all the way down.

By playing it with a $30 post-flop bet, here's what happens:

$90 in the pot, you bet $30.
    Next seat has to call $30 to win $150 pot (5:1).
    Next seat has to call $30 to win $180 pot (6:1).
    Easy call for both, even with marginal hands like A-x.

Now, with $180 in the pot, you bet $50.
    Next seat has to call $50 to win $280 pot (5.6:1).
    Next seat has to call $50 to win $330 pot (6.6:1).
    So now, you've actually made it an easier decision for them CALL you, hoping to hit their miracle card on the river.
    When the Queen comes on the river, they each need only one card to fill out their straight and beat you. They easily could have just hit their miracle card. Not only did betting small leave you open to a bad beat, it left you open to a bluff.

You made the right decision to fold, but had you gotten bluffed there, it would only be because of the way you played the previous streets that they were in a position to bluff you.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I bet 90 on the flop. That leaves me with 120 left after the bet. If the guy with K-Q sees this......what's his next move gonna be.

That's right; He's putting me all-in. So, no....my "pussy betting" saved me much more than the $10.

8. bigpern23

Wrong. He smooth calls hoping to keep the other guy in (which you said he did anyway) and knowing you'll do the betting for him on the turn.

Of course, once you see him call, you check-fold and he doesn't get another dime out of you.

EDIT: I see he was the last to act, so you're right, he'd go all-in over the top and you'd likely go broke.

However, in that situation, you're going to win when you flop your set more often than not, so it's still the right play, even if you lose in that particular instance.

ANOTHER EDIT: What he does there actually depends on the other guy. If the guy to your left calls, he's going to smooth call knowing you'll go all-in on the turn. If the other guy folds, he goes all-in.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

What if he raises?

And of course, why the hell wouldn't you when you've already up $180 in the hand, have the nuts in front of you?

One of the reasons I didn't bet as much in that hand.....I wanted to see all 5 cards.......not necessarily 10-J-9-A-Q.....but if I pair the board, or catch the 4th ace........once I've folded, I'll be more pissed than anything.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd have bet huge on the turn and gotten crushed.

Sounds like you made the right play. That's a fucking crack hand.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I'd be at the craps table within 10 minutes.

12. bigpern23

When you flop a set, your goal should never be to see all five cards. Your goal should be to win the pot. Get as much $$ as you can, but realize how vulnerable your set is.

If you assume you're in the lead when you hit your set, why would you want to see all five cards? Who cares about hitting a fourth Ace? Just win, baby! :)

Hey, you made the right decision when decision time came, and there's no way to know if you would have made the correct decision if you followed my advice. However, I'm telling you, if you play it the way I suggested in the future, you're going to win a lot more $$ than you'll lose (assuming you play fairly often).

And if you don't believe me, take the advice of some of the pros out there. Read their books (Super System 2 alone has made me a lot of money). You'll see why that's the right way to play it even if sometimes it means you lose your stack.

Draft saved Draft deleted