1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You just can't make this up" -- quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, Jun 29, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For all the talk about sources who clam up when they see a tape recorder or a notebook, there are also those who give you golden quotes that you've gotta use.

I covered a Cal Ripken, Sr. Collegiate Baseball League game last night that went into a rain delay. Since the game was in the sixth inning with the home team leading by one, I went into the dugouts to get quotes in the event the umpires ended up calling the game. In the visiting team's dugout, one of the players showed me a video on his phone of one of his teammates getting bitchslapped by another teammate (like one of those "I dare you to wait and get it") moments.

When I go to the home team's dugout, I talk to their manager and he says he thinks the opposing team made a mistake by going to the bullpen for a righthanded pitcher. Later on, I go to the home team's bullpen and a player who got ejected from the game starts answering my yet unasked question about the ejection.

I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Draft saved Draft deleted