1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You have three blue-sky days...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd probably do this alone.

I'd start the third Friday in San Diego, spend a day on Coronado Island.
    I'd leave and hit Austin, Texas and spend a day in Zilker Park (I think that's the name) and enjoy the Austin City Limits music festival.
    Then I'd head to New York, take a ride around Central Park, see a matinee and eat at any one of a zillion restaurants I like there.

I'll think of some more adventuresome stuff, too.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wander around San Francisco, ending with a walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No comment.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I KNEW that's where you lived.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I might try driving from, say, Madison, Wisconsin, to Seattle.

Nice drive, so long as you plan the route right.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My favorite three-day excursions are these, over St. Paddy's Day weekend in Florida: Friday, spring training game at Tampa at 1 pm then a Lightning game in St. Pete at 7 pm; Saturday, third round at Bay Hill then a 7 pm spring training game at Disney; Sunday, spring training at Kissimmee at 1 pm, fly home that night. I've done that trip twice (and also made a similar one in Phoenix area.)

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm not from El Paso, but this was a fun trip: Wyler Aerial Tramway in El Paso. Southern terminus of the US Rockies, and you can see four different customs checkpoints on the Rio Grande. Reeeeeaaalll crowded on the other side. Spend half a day doing that, then check out a minor-league game with the Diablos. Eat brisket at the State Line Barbecue (parking lot's in TX, restaurant's in New Mexico). Second day, road trip to Roswell. Sneak into Area 51. If that doesn't do it for you, southern New Mexico has a fortune in petroglyphs. Get in touch with the ancestors, etc. Back in EP, find a mom-and-pop mexican joint and test your manhood with whatever peppers they can come up with. Third day, longer road trip to Odessa. Might be tough to time this so you can do it in three consecutive days with the end of the minor-league season, but go check out the scene at Permian where the Panthers are playing or not. If you have any time left over, visit one of those sod farms in west texas that are circular because the irrigation system is a giant compass. If you're lucky you'll see thunder clouds 200 miles away at some point during your stay.

... forgot to mention Lone Star Beer. Doesn't matter when you work it in.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You could also hit Carslbad Caverns in New Mexico and make a quick trip through Roswell, though the UFO museum sucks.
    The way Permian is playing this season, you could definitely hit one of its games. Last I saw, they were undefeated and ranked No. 5 in the state.

Oh, and don't forget about ShinerBock beer. It is damn tasty.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Day 1: Attend the Kentucky Derby (never been)
    Day 2: See a concert at the Ryman in Nashville (done it a couple of times; my favorite venue and town)
    Day 3: Spend a day on Nickajack Lake in Tennessee (fishing by day, lounging on the porch of a log cabin listening to music by night)

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

New England in autumn with the colors. My bike, my wife waiting for me at lunch. Spend a day in Vermont, a day in Maine and a day in Boston.

The day in Boston is just a walking and talking day. The others are 5-7 hours on the bike followed by walking and talking.

Option 2: Same deal, but throw in a kayak and the San Juan Islands. One day on the water, one day on the bike on Vancouver Island, and one day in Seattle.

Option 3: Pacific Coast Highway.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd spend every day walking around the streets of Italy without a care in the world.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Italy became part of the U.S. when?

Draft saved Draft deleted