1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You got a prescription for that Sudafed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 12, 2010.

1. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/wghp-pg-faces-of-meth,0,938349.photogallery

Anyone even considering experimenting with crystal meth needs to take a look at these people. In 2.5 years they've aged about 15, with gaunt faces, swollen eyes, and scabs all over their skin. Why would you even try something like this, knowing you're going to end up looking like you slept under a bridge (and rolled around in feces while you were at it)?

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Those are some scary pics. For the uninformed, tho: What's with all the facial sores? Is that a side effect of meth, or are these folks getting the sh*t beaten out of them on a regular basis?

(And, welcome aboard, newb.)

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pretty sure it's a side effect. Meth is basically poison.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is. Not only does it make you more susceptible to minor infections, but it makes you itch like crazy.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Really not sure how I feel about this. I'm inclined to give law enforcement a fair amount of leeway when it comes to meth, because where I live it's close to an epidemic. I've seen what it does to people and it's beyond not pretty. And, too, my personal experience with Sudafed hasn't been all that great. Sometimes it clears up my cold symptoms, but other times not so much, and it always leaves me feeling really spacy.

On the other hand, this sounds like a typical quick-fix that our legislators always come up with when they really don't have any better answers. It's like they're saying, "see, we're doing something to fight the scourge of drug abuse," when they really aren't doing anything tangible. Plus they're doing it at the expense of the innocent and the poor who won't be able to afford a doctor's visit for a cold.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Meth should be legalized, for two reasons.

One, if it were easier to get, meth heads wouldn't be out jacking everything in sight trying to get it.

Two, let them knock themselves out of the gene pool.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Meth supposedly gives you an insatiable sexual appetite, which if you're hooking up with a fellow addict means all y'all are thinking about are cooking and fucking. Keeps Children's Services departments busy big time

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

my freshman year of college, two girls were busted cooking meth in their university owned apartment. One girl came home, saw an unknown guy on the couch, freaked, and called the police. She didn't try to hide any evidence of the meth producing operation. Turns out the guy was a friend of the other girl living in the apt.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

We've needed a good meth thread. There's a book called Methland that does a great job tracing meth's history. It also talks about how Tom Arnold's sister became the largest producer of meth in the United States from her Iowa farm/meth factory.

Scrips for Sudafed? As noted above, the small shop meth labs are a scourge on society, and requiring a scrip for sudafed would do a lot to reduce local production, so that's good.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tom Arnold's sister? Really? Huh. Never heard that before.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

It does explain a whole lot though.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, let me share a couple of great grafs from the book. Anyone interested in the topic should check it out. It's by a journalist named Nick Reding. Really informative stuff. I hope he doesn't mind my excerpting these two grafs.

Draft saved Draft deleted