1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You get what you pay for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Van Lingle Mungo, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Last week on our web site, we introduced a very small pop-over ad on our front page. It's at most 200X200 pixels, subtle animation, no sound, and it only appears once a day as long as people don't clear their cookies in the meantime. It's not one of those that require Flash or other kinds of plug-ins or otherwise consume any measurable amount of system resources.

Needless to say, we've received a numerous amount of e-mails from people saying how much they hate it, that they're never going to buy anything from said advertiser, some are threatening to never visit the site again, etc.

I'm amazed (though not at all surprised) that people have the stones to complain that vehemently about something that's free.

2. zman82

zman82 Member

i did some work at a free weekly that requied some answering calls and heard a lot of complaints from people wondering why they were getting the paper and they delivery to be stopped before they got a bill. once we explained that the paper would remain free, they still complained about getting. amazing!

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Uh, I get a big, useless Shopper-type thing from my own shop, and all it does is go in the trash or take up space on the floor of my car. I don't want it, I shouldn't have to get it all the time.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

More than anything, it proves what I've been saying all along: Advertising on the net isn't as popular, useful or liked as much as everyone in management claims it is.

The beauty of a newspaper is that you can IGNORE the ads and they NEVER get in your way.

5. The second part isn't exactly true. I hear people complaining all the time that the only reason stories jump is so that people are forced to hunt through the ads to read the rest of it.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yes, that's the theory behind jumps (I think). But I jump to finish the story. I couldn't care less about ads unless I'm actually planning to buy something - like a TV, computer, stereo or car.

7. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

You don't think internet ads are useful? You see an ad in the newspaper or TV or hear one on the radio, that's all that you get. As an advertiser, you are somewhat limited.

On the Internet, you can have click-through ads. You can use video. You can have animation.

I think the Internet ads are much more versatile and can offer advertisers more of what they want.

8. Babs

Babs Member

I hate free papers I don't want as well. You're putting the burden on me to dispose of it every week. Why should I have to do that? It just clutters up my life.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: I've clicked on one internet in my entire life. And I've had access to the net since 1996-ish.

And, again, there are pop-up blockers and programs that you can install that block ads right on the webpage. I use them. Not to mention, I simply do not read them on the net. If there is one of those "overlay" ads, I click the X to close IMMEDIATELY.

Also, how are companies like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. Going to distribute their flyers via net?

I don't care what anyone says, the "success" of internet advertising and the supposed "move to internet advertising" is a myth put forth by management to justify job cuts.

Also, OF COURSE there's a drop in subscriptions and newspaper readership: WE'RE GIVING THE WRITTEN PRODUCT AWAY FOR FREE on the net.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You're probably right, but if I, as a reader, don't click the "play ad now" box, how does that benefit the advertiser?
    I see those ads and laugh. I guess maybe some people do want to watch them, but not me. And if there's animation going that I can't click through, I'll open another browser and check my e-mail or something, then come back after the ad's done.

Draft saved Draft deleted