1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You do NOT want me covering your kid's HS football game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Sorry Cadet, I didn't explain that as well as I should have. He was definitely hurt - i.e., on the field and not moving - and after he was airlifted, he started to regain feeling. A couple weeks later, I saw him on the sideline; he wasn't playing, but he was moving around like nothing ever happened.

Though the 'just in case' aspect is certainly a good point.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Do a column on this, and then show up to your next game in a grim reaper costume.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

But "an ambulance was called"? I think EMS coverage for varsity football might be a PIAA rule; can't remember the last time I went to a game here and DIDN'T see an ambulance on standby.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

But seriously,folks...From what I remember, a couple of years after I graduated high school, there were three serious knee injuries to girls' basketball players from my school in three years. One girl tore her right knee but was able to play juco ball. Another girl tore up her right knee her sophomore year and her left knee her junior year. A couple of years later, I saw her playing for an NAIA school, 5' 3" inches of point guard wearing two bulky knee braces. From what she told me, all three knee injuries happened in the same area, just to the right of the key on the south end of our old gym's floor.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

OK, that makes more sense. But still, I think the rate of stretchers and ambulances has increased in the last five years, along with the rate of lawsuits against school districts and paramedic companies.

6. hankschu

hankschu Member

Jeez.

I was reading your post and tried to scroll down with my mouse and sprained my finger, dammit.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

He said, "penetrated the home team's end."

(now having my Beavis and Butthead moment, thank you)

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

There's a half dozen of us here who will really enjoy this one.

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Draft saved Draft deleted