1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You decide: Kentucky Mr. Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 26, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

the players are better looking, but the pageant gives away more free stuff

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My God that's beautiful.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's impresive, but he had a whopping ONE, count it ONE in the state championship game in a 49-7 ass kicking. Mt Football my ass.

Aaron Boyd was the best player in the state this season.

And Cole set state receiving records, as well.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But that swarming defense of Lexington Catholic caused him problems all damn day! [LexCath hater]

But honestly, Bob, LexCath was the better team far and away. Lone Oak just played one of the worst schedules in the state.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He's a system QB, according to my people who have seen him play. A step or two slow and on the small side, supposedly. Fugate's apparently in the same mold. Farris got shut down by Louisville Trinity in the playoffs (63 yards).

Best choice is probably DL Moore (South Carolina-bound), say my peeps, but the Lone Oak QB's flashy stats will get him the award.

6. KYSportsWriter

And the fact that he was in Sports Illustrated.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

That also goes back to flashy stats.

The thinking is that he'll end up at Murray State, UT-Martin ... someplace like that. No Division 1-A offers yet.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

90 TD passes in how many games?
    Whatever it is, that's insane.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Like I said, system QB.

Lone Oak is one of those high schools that paid a fee to Tony Franklin, the newly-installed offensive coordinator at Auburn, who has made a nice living in the past as an "offensive consultant" for various high schools around the country (especially in Kentucky). If you look on his web site's front page, it says so right there: "System QB Breaks National TD Record."

I got to see this offensive several times when I was in Kentucky. It kept getting shut down once its practitioners got into the playoffs.

10. KYSportsWriter

Spnited, it was in 15 games. Lone Oak went 14-0 before losing to Lexington Catholic in the state title game.

And 2mcm, I used to cover a high school (Franklin County) that had Franklin's offense implemented.

That offense wasn't shut down in the playoff game against LexCath in 2006 and it wasn't shut down in the regular-season meeting between the teams the year before. The playoff game went to overtime after Franklin County led 32-7 at halftime.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

It does seem to struggle on the carpet, though. And ... who beat?

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

90 Tds and only 4 ints? wow. and his completion percentage looked nice too. oh, and it shouldn't be about where you are headed to college. it should be who had the best season.

Draft saved Draft deleted